General > Computers / Internet

Windows 10

<< < (2/7) > >>

rokerman1973:
Just had an e-mail to say they can't verify my account. Was working perfectly until I installed Windows 10. Looks like a new e-mail address for me. Think I'll give Microsoft a miss and go elsewhere. So p*ss*d of as now have to inform loads of people my new e-mail address.

Tee Gee:
I hope this thread goes on for a while yet so that OUR experiences can be aired, I trust these somewhat more than the online previewing companies.

These companies are manned by experts, some of whom may be sponsored by software companies so I feel sometimes that their findings are not always to be trusted.

By contrast when the general public reply they tend to give a more down to earth reasons, based on their experiences.

I have been reading up on W10 and I am still undecided.

In fact only last week I decided I am going to wait until after Christmas before I go one way or the other.

I am getting the impression that Microsoft are building W10 as they go along and modifying it as they get 'feedback' hence the reason they are giving it free for the next 12 months.

I am also led to believe that W8 was not much of a success ( I have W7) and they do not want this with W10.

Then after the 12 months are up they will sell their " tried and tested" system at there usual astronomical prices, or will they?

One thing that does concern me is the "Apps" not for the apps sake but I feel that in future users will have to buy Apps to improve their system, not like now where MS gives you regular updates as a matter of course.

This reminds me of the car trade where mass produced cars are produced relatively cheap but the parts can cost a fortune, will these apps follow the same course???

OK the user can be selective in what apps to buy (or not as the case might be)

OK I might be over reacting and I hope I am, but I am basing these thoughts on the the current TV ads where they are showing small children as the eventual users not old non-IT literate people like me, hence my hesitancy in hitting the button.

So as I said....lets have all your good,bad and indifferent opinions guys, I for one would like to hear/read them...Tg

ancellsfarmer:
Updated 6month old laptop from 8.1 to 10.  Just pressed the button and waited as it asked. And waited, and waited. Got fed up and went to bed. Next am, all sorted. Has been good for the last 6days. Seems quicker and lost a lot of annoying features from 8.1. Much easier than w 8 Pro at work. No need of a microsoft account for any use I need so not done that. I use Firefox from Mozilla and Open Office suite for most things. Email free from UK2.net so no major costs. Sometimes wonder what we could do without it. How things have changed since a £1000 Commodore Pet!(8 kilobyte memory if my losing memory holds good)

ACE:
Done it a week or so ago. A few niggles but I started on a safe start one morning with f8 and all rectified itself. As for new email addresses and such just go up to the right hand corner with the row of dots, drop down the menu and run internet explorer and transfer all your old stuff over to edge. One thing that was a nuisance is that streaming videos gave me a green screen, so I run them in explorer, but I will have to sort it some day soon. Cortana is good for searching, but only typed questions. Enough womens wittering going on here without another tart joining in.

Obelixx:
Windows 8 had been driving me crackers ever since I bought a new PC about 3 years ago.   When I bought this new one in Feb I hummed and ha'd over an Apple Mac but I have lots of software and documents in Windows that I need for running the dance club and I was advised that migrating them to Apple would not be straight forward.   Carried on with Windows 8 which I loathed so I upgraded to Windows 10 nearly 2 weeks ago.  Had to leave it to download for several hours and then discovered it has a major feature.  It stops Microsoft's own Outlook programme for managing emails from sending emails.  What a spectacular bug.   

Found a forum with other people having the same problem and did the fix someone advised on there and I am now OK but I doubt very much if I will ever buy a Windows PC again.  I just do not understand how they can let such a thing loose on their customers, especially as I used to work for one of the British software houses that supplied programmers to Microsoft in Seattle to develop the original Windows and I know about developing software and thorough testing protocols.   There has been no apology and Microsoft do not seem to be fixing the bug themselves.

Here's the forum thread in case it can help anyone else -
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/windows-10-upgrade-outlook-send-error/f4972f09-5961-40a8-a2aa-a5faaf982746

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version