General > Computers / Internet

Windows 10

(1/7) > >>

Garden Manager:
I was just wondering if anyone has tried it yet? I was a bit reluctant but yeaterday i decided to upgrade my laptop (my 'second' PC after my main desktop PC) in order to try it out. Have to say i am quite impressed. Not sure about the new browser replacing IE (Edge) but like the idea of Apps like on a tablet or smartphone. My laptop is quite old but sees to run much quicker with 10 so far.

Of course my desktop has much more software, data and i run all my peripherals from it so remains to be seen how that will perform with 10, but so far so good.

Jayb:
I've been thinking about upgrading mine and have got half way, just not had the nerve to press the final button yet!
Glad it is working well so far for your laptop. Does it take long to do?

rokerman1973:
Upgraded mine on a desktop this morning. Needs to be got used to. Frustratingly screwed up my e-mail. Now waiting for MS to verify my e-mail account after filling in a fairly lengthy form. Can't understand why it wouldn't let me use my e-mail and it had to be verified especially as I entered my password. Bloody annoying if I have to change my e-mail address .

Paulines7:
I now have Windows 10 and am very pleased with it as I never really got on with Windows 8.  I don't have a tablet or smart phone so don't know anything about Apps.    I went out to buy a tablet last year but ended up buying a small touch screen laptop instead.  Now it is upgraded to Windows 10, it seems much faster and much easier to use. 

--- Quote from: Jayb on August 26, 2015, 10:13:04 ---I've been thinking about upgrading mine and have got half way, just not had the nerve to press the final button yet!
Glad it is working well so far for your laptop. Does it take long to do?

--- End quote ---

We have snail broadband in our village and my laptop took about 24 hours to download.

--- Quote from: rokerman1973 on August 26, 2015, 10:17:19 ---Upgraded mine on a desktop this morning. Needs to be got used to. Frustratingly screwed up my e-mail. Now waiting for MS to verify my e-mail account after filling in a fairly lengthy form. Can't understand why it wouldn't let me use my e-mail and it had to be verified especially as I entered my password. Bloody annoying if I have to change my e-mail address .

--- End quote ---

I had problems with my email to begin with and my OH sorted it all out for me and I didn't have to change my email address.  Please don't ask me what he did!! 

Melbourne12:
My brother-in-law upgraded his desktop (a standard Dell machine a couple of years old).  The Dell was running Windows 7, although I don't know which flavour of 7.

It was a disaster.  Windows 10 handles touchscreens, whereas his old operating system of course did not.  It looks as though he ended up with the Windows 10 system expecting touchscreen input (which may indeed have been his own fault for not understanding what he was doing).  At some point he persuaded it to revert to Windows 7, but the mouse wouldn't work, or rather the mouse worked but the cursor didn't move.

It took Microsoft level 2 support over 3 hours to fix it, and of course he had to go through around 9 hours of level 1 support before they agreed to escalate it.

I must say that Microsoft Windows is becoming less and less attractive.  Only a very few years ago we had exclusively MS Windows machines - desktops, laptops, and a netbook.  Now the netbook is being retired, and we have moved to Android and Apple iOS.  We keep just one Windows desktop. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version