Author Topic: compost comparison  (Read 2036 times)

mrrigsby

• Not So New ...
compost comparison
« on: August 13, 2015, 15:00:56 »
Can anyone enlighten me on the quality of Melcourt Silvagrow compost? Ideally, how would it compare with a tried and trusted product such as Levington M2 or M3.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: compost comparison
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 16:06:50 »
I think all bags of compost even if the same make vary. I have bought compost that my friends fine very good but I could do nothing with it. I went to a talk once at a garden centre and the speaker said I like to use ;;;;;; compost as there is extra sand in it , when he opened the bag he looked rather sad and said I think they forgot to put it in this one. With many compost it is the way we as individuals teat it rather than the compost itself.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:30:48 »
I've not used it and looking at their website, I'm not tempted. I've tried the no-peat composts and my plants have not been very happy. A mix of coir and bark they say.  Coir - well I've seen that and it wont hold any water.  And why is bark much different from recycled waste compost?

Peat user here I'm afraid.  I use Clover's or B&Q multipurpose (sieve it first) for seeds and seedlings.  If I have to fill a large tub, I'll make a mix up with fresh compost, used compost, recycled waste "soil improver" and chicken manure pellets.  Just o keep down my peat use really. 

If you try it, please report back.  We're very interested in new products here - look at all the tomato discussions.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 16:59:43 »
I generally try to get my main sowing compost in December, 6 bags of last years New Horizons will be on special offer at Wyevale, guarantee it... When I'm sowing I put a layer of that in the pot, sow the seeds and top with a proper John Innis Seed compost, generally get great germination even though my watering regime can be a bit erratic,,,, for most of the potting on I use a mixture oflast years greenhouse soil (save half a dumpy bag when I dig it out) mixed with council compost and a bit of BFB. We can buy the compost straight from the recycling yard, half a ton will be about 15 quid ... any left gets used as a soil improver on the plot

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal