Author Topic: Waterproofing a water butt  (Read 2074 times)

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
Waterproofing a water butt
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:49:22 »
I have been given a metal tank. It is about 1 metre deep and about 75 cm dia. This leaks and as it is quite old has numerous holes in it. Rather than find and fill in each hole would it be possible to put something inside as a waterproof liner?

My own idea is to firstly line the barrel with something soft as the inside is rough. This could be cardboard boxes. Inside of this I would then put a large, single piece of black plastic, possibly in a double layer. This would be secured at the top of the butt with cable ties running around the outside perimeter.

I know there is something you pour in car radiators to stop up holes but this only works with hot water. Also in the old ships they used to something like coal dust to plug small leaks.

Any suggestions ?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Waterproofing a water butt
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:53:01 »
What about pond lining material?

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:18:47 »
I agree, pond liner would do the job but I would suggest you get liner matting to put between the tank and the plastic liner. It is strong, designed to protect  the pond liner from sharp stones etc and won't rot. If you know someone who has built a pond recently there are always offcuts to get rid of.

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 15:53:16 »
Thanks - I'll do that.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal