Author Topic: No onions?  (Read 1704 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
No onions?
« on: July 13, 2015, 22:12:52 »
For the first time in my 10years of having an allotment I don't think we will have any onions.  The sets planted in April are smaller than my spring onions and only have 5-6" foliage above ground.  My leeks and spring onions are in the same bed and are doing well so I know its not the soil and I have a 4 year crop rotation cycle.  Everyone elses are doing ok.  Any suggestions as to why?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: No onions?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:00:11 »
Have you pulled up any of them to have a look at the roots and insides?

Spring planted onions on our site aren't looking too good and it is mostly down to the allium leaf miner.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 20:18:38 »
I didn't plant any onions this year, but I've had allium fly in my walking onions. I've had bad outbreaks in ordinary onions before now; is the leaf growth distorted?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 21:37:20 »
Not distorted, just small.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:30:02 »
I planted my banana shallots out in May, they have just sat there! I think they are a bit dry, but despite watering them they are clearly doing nowt. First year I've failed with them..and my spring onions failed to germinate as well so I'm clearly doing something wrong!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal