Author Topic: What did you pick today  (Read 80776 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: What did you pick today
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2016, 23:00:55 »
John, which type of Achocha?  They are mostly pretty daylength sensitive and don't produce much before the equinox.  Clearly yours is bucking the trend = much better adapted to growing conditions here.  Which one are you growing please? 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2016, 23:50:17 »
I ate an achocha pod yesterday.. but today was mulberries, toms, cuchino cucs, aubergines and minipop corn...

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2016, 00:02:13 »
They're the Giant Bolivian ones sold by the real seed company ... I saved my own seeds a couple of years ago so they're from those saved ones.  I just interplanted a row of climbing beans with three plants and they're already ¾ of the way up the poles hanging from my bean plants!  Not many fruit and I know from last time they're far tastier if you pick them young.

To be frank I'm not a huge fan of their taste ... but young they're something between a runner bean and a cucumber in flavour ... quite nice mixed in with courgettes/onions/tomatoes in a pasta sauce.  They're the most productive thing I have ever grown - these three plants have already made 4 fruits and they're about to explode.

I find they end up being more fun to play with for the kids as they look for all the world like green clangers with their noses!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2016, 00:03:40 »
John, which type of Achocha?  They are mostly pretty daylength sensitive and don't produce much before the equinox.  Clearly yours is bucking the trend = much better adapted to growing conditions here.  Which one are you growing please? 

Actually - thinking about it Galina ... are you thinking of Oca?  My achocha have always set fruit about now.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2016, 08:06:34 »

Actually - thinking about it Galina ... are you thinking of Oca?  My achocha have always set fruit about now.

No I do mean Achocha.  My Giant Bolivian are also almost up the top of the 8ft bean pole and flowering.  No fruit yet.  Delighted that this one might be a bit earlier.  When Achocha first came to this country, they all seemed to be very late, but Fat Baby seems to have adjusted to earlier fruiting.  Lady's Slipper Achocha is still quite late for me and we need a long autumn for a really big harvest.  This is my first year for Bolivian Giants - we had seeds from the seed circle - great news that yours are already harvestable. Seems they may be earlier too :wave:

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2016, 10:02:55 »
Oh - OK then - I had never heard about them fruiting in response to the equinox that's all.  Good luck with yours.  They are fun!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2016, 16:21:01 »
beans more beans
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2016, 20:07:29 »
Tommys
Carrots
French beans
Beetroot
Courgettes
Sweetcorn
Spuds
Spring onions
Onions
 :sunny:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2016, 22:23:35 »
Just lettuce, carrots, courgettes and a few late mangetouts.   :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2016, 08:01:29 »
Tomatoes, chillies, oranges and peaches.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #230 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:40 »
Tomatoes, chillies, oranges and peaches.

Love the way you casually add on peaches! :glasses9: :toothy10: :glasses9:

If that was me i would be PEACHES

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2016, 17:02:28 »
Cucumbers, courgettes, tomatoes, french beans, raspberries, brambles, mini-corn... do love August!  :wave:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #232 on: August 08, 2016, 20:40:14 »
Runner beans, blackberries, raspberries, courgettes, cucumber.  More sweet peas for indoors.  A few redcurrants so made some jam, added some blackberries and a load of raspberries.  Gave some stuff away, so must be a good year.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2016, 16:51:37 »
first butternut of the year a good size too around 2 kilo
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2016, 16:57:50 »
30 lbs spuds Carrots and Beetroots and a marrow !
i don't belive death is the end

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2016, 18:08:03 »
 :wave: I'm feeling very pleased with myself as after five years of failures I have finally eaten an aubergine grown by me! Maybe all it needed was a wet warm summer!
Now I've seen you guys harvesting potatoes I'm going to give mine a bit of a firkle !

X sunloving

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2016, 08:59:04 »
Yesterday I picked the last of the dwarf purple beans from the first bed (still got a 2nd bed going strong), picked the last courgette off one plant that has produced soooooooooo many really large ones compared to the other 2 plants of the same variety all planted at same time so no idea why one has been so prolific, blueberries are almost at an end but still getting a small punnet a day, got some beautiful raspberries from the few Autumn ones I planted this year that survived (such a shame if all 20 had survived I would be getting a punnet a night but such is life), will be picking the last of my peas today (only grew as an experiment but will be growing lots more next year as I can't believe how much nicer they are especially eaten raw straight from the plant lol), also plan to finish harvesting the beetroot, will be picking more cucumbers too. I really had doubts that much would grow well this year at the start of the season but I have had great harvests so I am chuffed.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2016, 19:03:37 »
Tomatoes, cucumbers,sweet peppers and runner beans the beans have been rather slow this year but they seem to be cropping ok now 
Barnsley S Yorks

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #238 on: August 19, 2016, 00:56:39 »
Pulled half my beetroot for my friend who makes raspberry and beetroot Chutney, she said it was lovely and I get some chutney back!
I've had to move my peppers and chillies back home from the little lottie greenhouse though, my drip system just wasn't keeping them watered enough, and the plants were miles smaller than the same varieties I kept at home. I've repotted them and they now reside on the greenhouse floor tiles as I have nowhere else to put them!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2016, 00:06:00 »
Runner beans
French beans
Courgettes
Patty pans
Raspberries
Blackberries

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal