Author Topic: breadmakers AGAIN  (Read 6712 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: breadmakers AGAIN
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 22:43:27 »
You can freeze yeast too and just take it out as you need it.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 10:20:28 »
My son arrived home with a breadmaker this Christmas, and I'm a confirmed fan now (will be trying out mat's giant hotxbun today!). If I had to buy one for myself, a viewing window would be essential to watch the dough ball rolling around ::)
Which? selected three Best Buys in 2004 - see below. Only problem might be developing bingo wings if not kneading by hand  >:( 

Panasonic SD253 £90
The best bread maker on test was the Panasonic SD253, £90 from John Lewis or £80 from www.24-7electrical.co.uk.The bread was a hit with our testers, with one noting that it was 'superior to shop-bought'. The only criticism was that 'it makes you eat more bread because it tastes so lovely'. Some users were critical of the relatively long baking times, but our bread expert believes longer programs tend to result in a better loaf, and she felt the bread from this machine 'looked great, and had a nice colour and shape'.

It comes with a whopping 100 recipes for breads and cakes, and has a raisin dispenser so you don't have to hang around to add fruit. On the downside, it's the only one without a viewing window so you can't spy on your loaf as it cooks.

Dimensions (hxwxd) 37x34x26cm
Loaf capacity 1kg
Cost of white loaf 55p
Baking time 4hr
Total Test Score 78%

Morphy Richards Cooltouch Fastbake 48280 £40
A close second, and a much cheaper option, is the Morphy Richards Cooltouch Fastbake 48280, £40, from Robert Dyas, or £47 from www.amazon.co.uk. All our testers were fans. One said it baked 'a very good loaf, light with nice texture'. And our expert felt the raisin bread had 'texture as good as home made', with 'a toasty smell and glossy crust'. There's no automatic fruit dispenser: instead, a beep reminds you when to add raisins. Another point in its favour is the accompanying recipe for chocolate bread, which was a big hit with our users.

Dimensions (hxwxd) 30x29x4cm
Loaf capacity 0.9kg
Cost of white loaf 67p
Baking time 3hr
Total Test Score 74%

Team International BBA52 Rapido £50
Another good value machine is the Team International BBA52 Rapido £50, from www.teamuki.com. It was popular with testers, with one calling it a 'very impressive machine that makes excellent bread', though some couldn't get the crust dark enough for their liking. Our expert said 'you can't fault the white loaf - as good as shop-bought' but she thought the raisin bread was a little undercooked. The machine's fairly easy to use, and has a raisin beep but no dispenser. Handily, it has a paddle extractor for getting the mixer out of the baked loaf with minimal tearing.

Dimensions (hxwxd) 33x36x27cm
Loaf capacity 0.9kg
Cost of white loaf 68p
Baking time 3hr
Total Test Score 63%
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 10:22:43 by supersprout »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2006, 12:18:48 »
That was an interesting review.  The most interesting bit was why the Panasonic's loaves were so much cheaper when the largest one is actually bigger than the other two's!

I worked out that with Tesco cheapest bread flour (51p/1.5kg) and doing medium loaves (400g flour a shot) you pay 38p a loaf.  It's a false economy to make large ones if you haven't got a large family, as the lack of preservatives mean it goes green or hard a lot faster. Best to make a small loaf and eat it up before making another! The rapid loaf function is excellent - 1h55mins to fresh bread! And though you can't use the bake raisin setting there, you can get away with adding poppy seeds at the start.

Also I wouldn't worry about the lack of window, as you can peek in the lid while it's paffing the dough about. The only time it's not advised is during baking as the loss of heat can cause collapse, but that's why they don't have a window in the first place. 

moonbells (5-seed loaf on timer right now! Should be perfect for when I get home...)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 14:00:15 by moonbells »
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2006, 13:30:21 »
I wouldn't worry about the lack of window, as you can peek in the lid while it's paffing the dough about

Thanks for the excuse to treat myself to a Panasonic when my breadmaker leaves home moonbells  :'( ;) And the suggestion re small loaves - another excuse to have fun baking more often. Paffing, wonderful  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal