Author Topic: Watering  (Read 5194 times)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: Watering
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:38 »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 13:27:20 »
i think its horses for courses what ever method you use if it works for you then great if that's how you garden and it works that's all good credit to you me personally id rather dig in organic matter and mulch in the winter than run around throwing water around like its a knockout in the summer i believe there is a case for raised beds my strawberry bed is raised and i can tell you it ain't easy  but i don't water it  so happy allotmenteering to you all wether you are  a water or a digger  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 17:43:03 »
Forgot to mention.  No watering apart from the rain.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 19:03:18 »
Yes johhnny you are right.  We all have to make the best of what conditions we have. I grow on the equivalent of a sieve.  As soon as water is given it is gone.  So I water, I mulch, I add bio matter and more water and more mulch and more bio matter.  The whole works.   

I once heard someone say that if you dig a hole and fill it with water, if the water is still there after 24 hours you have a drainage problem.  If I dig a hole and fill it with water, it has gone.  I could go on pouring and pouring and it would be gone.   Puddling in brassicas?  Puddle?  What puddle? I blinked and missed it.

I can dig two minutes after it stops raining.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal