Author Topic: Sweetpeas  (Read 2872 times)

Wicker

• Hectare
Sweetpeas
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:36:00 »
For the first time in years my sweetpeas have pretty well failed to germinate.  what did I do differently?  Well, this year I did it the "proper" way - soaked  overnight, sowed in compost, on propagator etc etc whereas normally I fold up kitchen roll soak it,  place it in the lid of a large (coffee) jar, space the seeds on top, screw the jar back on (upside down you understand!) and away they go - has never failed me so why did Ichange? >:( 

Away now to hunt up a couple of old 300grm coffee jars.........
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Sweetpeas
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:07:43 »
Hi
I use your old methord but use a plastic box with lid can be icecream box or sandwich box as long as lid is tight.
double layer of KT under damp sow seeds and double KT on top fit lid and off they go in a warm room.
Do the same for runner beans great to see things growing from start.
in compost too wet and too warm the seeds can rot.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 11:19:16 »
Could be the seed I suppose if all the other conditions seemed to be right.  Sorry to hear about your disappointment.  Oh well the coffee jar it is then  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

NattyEm

• Acre
    • Em and Lous Lottie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:27:37 »
My sweetpeas I bunged in drinkingcup pots of compost on my windowsill watered and waited.

Now they have all germinated and are out in the coldframe.   Wondering if I'll need to pot them on before I get the chance to put them in the ground...

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 11:54:40 »
Last couple of years i have 'chitted' or sprouted my sweet pea seeds on damp paper before sowing - i have found germination is better than with soaking or chipping them.

Unfortunately this year i let the damp paper underneath the seed dry out on occasions (didnt think to cover them). consequently germination has been poor/slow (so far).

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 11:55:05 »
Just bunged mine in loo rolls covered with a bit of cling film, they are now in the cold frame reaching for the stars.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 12:04:16 »
Just bunged mine in loo rolls covered with a bit of cling film, they are now in the cold frame reaching for the stars.

Good for you Val. some of mine are too. They are doing better since i moved them from the greenhouse to the coldframe. I think it got too warm in the GH for them.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 12:37:47 »
I have varying success this year - some shot up, some are still not out. I suspect the random 'oh I've got some seeds left here' effect, ie some were too old... but I've 22 up in total so shall have a decent display I hope.  Probably as well they didn't all germinate!!!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 13:55:27 »
I have used root trainers for the first time this year. Sowed 4 different varieties from Kings Seeds before Christmas. I have just about 85% to 95% germination in a cold greenhouse and now moved to a coldframe.

They are about 6 inches tall after being having thier tips pinched out at the 4th true leaf stage. As they have been in the cold frame for well over a month now I am going to start planting them out soon.

If I wait much longer they will start groing into one huge ball i fear!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 14:24:45 »
I planted my sweetpeas straight into compost - in trays on my windowsill (then move to pots in the cold frame) - they came up really well.

However, I started with two types - one a standard mix of colours (galaxy I think)  the other some fancy looking type which was supposed to be white with pink / purple edges. I treated them all the same all of the galaxy ones have grown (now about 15cm) the other fancy type did not even sprout!!

Hmmm wasn't impressed. Try galaxy straight into wettish compost - don't water them again until they sprout.

Good luck!

;)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 22:38:33 »
After the house move we're not up to anything special, so I just bunged a few free seeds and some harvseted from last year's Sweeties  ( did soak them) into pots in the greenhouse.....they're comin' though ....

Girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, but we're winning...... :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal