Author Topic: Jordan fig  (Read 1855 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Jordan fig
« on: June 12, 2015, 11:47:12 »
I bought this Jordan fig as a three year old plant in the Spring of 2013 and planted it in a large container on a south-slightly southeast facing wall. Since then it has produced leaves each year and tiny bobbles in the leaf axles but nothing more. :BangHead: It gets tomato feed weekly from the time I start to feed the tomato plants and watered regularly. Am I doing anything wrong? :dontknow: Should I remove the growing tips? It seems to be getting rather leggy!

There is a fig bush in my local park which was planted about the same time (no idea of the variety) that is loaded with fruit. I'm wondering if I dare snaffle a couple once they are ripe  :tongue3:

Tricia

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Jordan fig
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:27:31 »
If it's happy in Jordan (the place) then it's unlikely to be happy here without a very hot polytunnel.

My plot had a few figs from Cyprus varieties (probably illegally) when I took it over - they are at least 10-15 years old and do virtually nothing - they have to go.

I don't even want to waste polytunnel space on them when I can use the same space for a White Marseilles or Bourjoisette Grise and get shedloads of delicious fruit every year.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Jordan fig
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 12:09:16 »
Not heard of this fig before.  Not sure if it likes our climate (too cold).

I have a "brown turkey" fig.  I feed it in spring, bit of blood fish and bone with chicken pellets.  I water it about once a fortnight.  It is under the patio next to a dividing wall.  the roots are surrounded by heavy clay.  It did not produce anything for about two years and now it is very prolific.  I have loads on the bush waiting to ripen (about end of August).

So personally i would say one dose of tomato plant food and then stop feeding.  Don''t water until you know it is dry.  Cut back old wood in September but remember don't cut back too hard ( or too much) or you may not have any figs the next year.

to prepare slit figs across the top, squeeze open and place in a small baking tray so that they are touching.  pour over a very little red wine and then dribble over runny honey and bake/grill for about ten minutes.  Cover in cream and serve. Unfortunately my figs don't seem to reach the kitchen very often.

Bill

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal