Author Topic: After holiday blues  (Read 2124 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
After holiday blues
« on: June 01, 2015, 15:47:51 »
After 2 weeks away from the plot I return to find that there are no courgettes/pumpkins (slugs?) the fleece covering the planted out cabbages has been ripped down the middle (wind I guess. It’s been awful weather) and the carrot, parsnip, beetroot bed only has marigold and nigella growing. So I simply ripped that bed up and want to know.  What shall I sow, plant - try - now?

All suggestions are very welcome.  Help please! I promise I’ll try them out!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: After holiday blues
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 17:23:54 »
I planted out sweetcorn and courgettes and pumpkins yesterday so am just hoping they survive the rain and wind!

I've just sown some more butternut squash as the only two that germinated previously had been eaten or rotted off. The packet says sow March to May but it's only just June (and the weather's like November!)I think there's still time to sow quite a lot of things- check the packets. I still plan to sow carrots, beetroot, more runner beans.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 17:42:30 »
Hi Mormor, Pick yourself up , dust yourself down .....and start all over again ! as the song goes  :happy7: I haven't been well and am starting late with little gem lettuces sown around three bought courgette plants , I have just sown some runnerbeans and purplepodded french beans too. Someone must have some more cabbage seedlings they might give you  ? Dont give up !   :angel11: Debs
Trespassers will be composted !

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 18:50:26 »
Just realised you're in Denmark so I'm not sure how sowing /planting times compare with the UK?

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 21:28:13 »
Not too late for sweetcorn? I planted out half a dozen tomato plants today - and last week sowed a couple of rows of spinach and swede. Still to do my climbing french beans too.

Good luck

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:41:01 »
I should think the climate here is a bit worse (!) than North Yorkshire - but darker. And now near midsummer - lighter!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal