Author Topic: Allotment Chick's Plot 2  (Read 2421 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Allotment Chick's Plot 2
« on: September 26, 2003, 19:35:58 »
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Re: Allotment Chick's Plot 2
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 20:12:37 »
Here is No. 2 plot, picture taken from No 1 plot.  It ends just beyond the shed on the left and goes across to the wooden box in the centre with the asparagus growing out of it!  50ft x 25ft in all.  I'm amazed how good it looks in the photo - but don't be decieved by the apparent clean condition - the plot has been burnt off and the brambles are just beginning to shoot again after last weeks rain....

Today it all got just a bit disheartening  :(

Every job seemed to be impossible - I couldn't move the manure heap because there was a bit of a blow and bits of straw from the manure was going everywhere except in the bin.  I did manage to take down the runner beans despite the darn things fighting back...

The soil shows no sign that any of the recent rain was actually absorbed, so is still like concrete - not much digging possible on the strawberry patch - I gave up after three quarters of an hour with only one row half a spit deep, 6" wide and four feet across to show for it!

Then I went and looked at the soil on No 2 plot.  It looks very compacted and I can't even begin to imagine how I'm going to get the fork into it

.....and after being swiped round the face for the fourth time by the apple tree with attitude, I finally got the secateurs out!  I know, I know - it's not the right time of year......but I've got to admit to a moment of joyous (if fleeting) control!  I've taken a 'before' picture of the inherited apple tree and I'll ask Dan to post it with the 'after stage 1 pruning' picture later in the winter.

Out with the hot chocolate - I'm expecting the return of optimism on the morrow (especially if it rains overnight!).  
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:09 by -1 »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 00:21:27 »
Oh AC.

Lovely picture, what comes to my mined is fence it all in and let a few pigs loose on it. ;D
They would turn it over eat all the roots and manure it as they went along. ;)
Wonder if you can hire them for a week or so? :-/
Oh well just a thought lots of choc's and wine you will feel better. 8)
Teresa

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 17:47:26 »
Any tips on how to add a photo as I have one of a recently acquired allotment which will cheer you no end. The brambles are mostly gone now though. Left the others for birds over wintering - seemed a shame to chop them all down as can't possibly dig it all over before next spring.

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 18:50:03 »
Hi - I think you can either type in the link to the image host yourself or (as I did) email the image to Dan (aka Admin) as an attachment.  Dan's email link is at the top of the page where it says Please email Admin!

Looking forward to seeing your site.  ;)
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 19:26:22 »
Thank you A C have mailed photo - sure I will get the hang of it soon. By the way - when I say brambles have nearly all gone a lot of roots still exist They get burned as and when I come across them digging. I think the pig idea would be a good option if they could be fenced in securely. ( which would probably take longer than digging and manuring!) Its all slow going as have now come down with the lurgy and getting serious withdrawal symptoms.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:10 by -1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal