Author Topic: Sweetcorn  (Read 2369 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Sweetcorn
« on: May 20, 2015, 17:07:31 »
Hi, I'm a little pushed for space in my greenhouse and I don't have a cold frame. I need to plant out some of my sweetcorn plants. I've looked at the local 10 day forcast and local night temperatures
Are 8-10 degrees. I have more seedlings than I need, is it worth chancing planting a few rows or shall I wait?  :wave:
Paul

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 17:16:48 »
i would put them in  the only reason mine aint in yet is that im waiting for my early spuds to come up prob next week rocket just got flowers coming so thats when mine will go in when i have the room  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 15:31:41 »
Well I have germinated my sweetcorn on kitchen paper, just short root and main shoot showing.  I have put about 60% in modules to grow on and the remainder I have dropped into holes in the ground.  I thought that if i didn't start now i would never get them in.

The ones in the modules are doing very well.

Good Luck

Bill

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 16:08:45 »
Hi Bill Door, that seems to be what I intend to do. Good luck with your corn! :wave:
Paul

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 17:28:06 »
I've been  thinking about putting my seedlings in all this week (because I need the space) and I think I'll probably go for it this weekend!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 17:34:52 »
Been put back a tad this year, some field mice have had a go at my plants so had to sow some more!

They dug down, ate the seed and left the leaves .

I can just imagine them playing at timber jacks!  Timberrrrrrr!

Little b****rs                     

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 19:16:14 »
Here they are, planted 2 hours ago. Fingers crossed!!
Paul

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 14:23:47 »
Put them in much earlier next year with clear bottomless 2L plastic bottles over them until all frosts are past. You can even let them grow out though the neck - as long as you don't leave them so long the stem fills the whole neck and jams in it.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal