Author Topic: Fatsia  (Read 7232 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Fatsia
« on: March 22, 2005, 14:21:08 »
My fatsia leaves have started to curl under and although its got new leaves its looking really sorry for itself. Its a young plant, new last year, I thought they were quite robust plants. Would appreciate any advice thanks Val.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: Fatsia
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 19:04:16 »
Can't offer any advice I'm afraid.  Mine looks the same.  It just seems to go through periods of sulking. lol  I am hoping it will grow out of it!  n.b. Mine is also quite a young one...
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 11:52:53 »
Hey Charlotte maybe they are teenagers, would account for the sulks. Mine is in shade, but I thought they didn't mind that. Very tempted to dig it up this morning to look at the roots. but decided to wait and see instead. ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 11:57:42 »
I think they do prefer shade. I planted one in sun last year and it hasnt done very well. Hasnt died but hasnt thrived if you know what i mean.  I am planing to move it to a shady spot either in soil or into a pot.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 10:43:50 »
They do like the shade, and they do curl their leaves, but I love em anyhow! (especially when they flower!!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 18:35:11 »
I think they can be vunerable to winter cold so a sheltered spot is better for them than an exposed one. I think cold exposure is what makes them curl their leaves.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 18:46:15 »
That would explain it, it is in a draughty spot. Well its just going to have to harden up, I need it to stay where it is.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 21:04:55 »
Fatsias need partial shade and to be quite sheltered.  Give it a good feed and water if necessary and should perk up. Whatever you do, don't put it in full sun, in the wind, on top of a hill!! ;D Good luck

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 21:37:24 »
I don’t really have an answer for this but find it strange that the two Fatsia’s I had in my north facing sheltered/shaded garden had light green leaves like this, I gave the other Fatsia to my daughter a few years ago who only lives 100 yards away with a north facing sheltered/shaded garden and the leaves have turned very dark green. ???

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 11:30:17 »
I'm pretty certain its the wind/cold thats done it, its right in the way of the gap between garage and house, at the end of a wind tunnel I guess. I don't want it anywhere else so it'd better shape up or ship out....If I leave the garage door open that will stop a lot of the wind but I'll have to close it at night. Maybe one side of it will be okay  lol.... ;D

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 13:22:37 »
Well now, my fatsia is in a lovely shady, sheltered spot - and still the petulant behaviour!  Must be a teenager. :P   ;D
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 10:59:27 »
Maybe if you havent got the best spot for it in the ground them maybe there is somewhere suitable for it if it was in a pot?

Where i have mine is not ideal and i dont really have soil in the right place for it to move it to. However i have a nice shady sheltered place outside the conservatory where i think it will do well, albeit in a pot.  ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 11:37:43 »
Hi Richard, I need an evergreen plant likes shade and doesn't mind a bit of draught, its got such big leaves I thought that would do and they are majestic aren't they. It isn't so much the plant as the place . I need something to go there.

mike maria spain

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 18:31:48 »
Hi all,
I have a Fatsia in partial shade that has shown all the symptoms. It has just  grown 15 new leaves this last couple of weeks. The leaves do start off a very light green and when matured go a darker green. Watch out for the black fly (unsure of the species) as i was fortunate to catch mine in the early stages of being infested. I have a few leaves with holes in them but the plant looks healthy and is doing so well this year. In the past it has sulked and looked on the verge of dying but since finding the right spot and pulling it from its container it has rewarded me no end. They do like water, make sure the soil around the plant doesnt dry out too much, the soil should be kept moist and if growing in a container cover the soil with bark chippings as I have found the plant loves it.
Mike

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2005, 21:04:32 »
I have 2 fatsias in a shady area which is covered in bark and they seem to be thriving - no sulky teenagers here!! Didn't know they liked bark though so its more good luck than good judgement.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 23:43:57 »
I have 2 fatsias in a shady area which is covered in bark and they seem to be thriving - no sulky teenagers here!! Didn't know they liked bark though so its more good luck than good judgement.

Probably not the bark per se, just the fact as a mulch it helps keep the roots nicely cool and moist.

I am wondering if I ought to plant out my fatsia in the spot where it sits in its pot? The pot is standing in shade on top of soil to give it extra height - so that it can be seen from the conservatory window. The area is the dampest part of the garden so perhaps if planted it will grwo tall enough without the extra elevation. Hmm...

mike maria spain

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 10:20:10 »
Mine has doubled in size since i pulled it from its pot, its currently about 5 feet tall and has to be supported, however I'm in a Mediterranean climate, so I'm sure this helps. Fatsia can grow to 8 feet tall in the right conditions.
As for the chippings, yea your right it retains the moisture in the soil, and for me it also acts as a deterent for the cats that used to leave me presents every day  :(

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 11:28:59 »
Mine has picked up a bit lately, loads of new leaves, some a bit holey but as its in a damp shady spot, I expect there's snails around. Saw a sparrow diving under it rooting around so don't really know what would be there to interest him, they don't eat snails. Still at least it hasn't given up on me.

tango

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 18:29:29 »
I've had a Fatsia about 20 years, a cutting from a houseplant of my mum's.  Although it always loses its leaves with a frost it has always come through.  I take off the leaves when they have browned but other than that no TLC.  It must be very tough.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 23:38:08 »
Mine now seems to have settled into its new home ( in pot in shady spot). Its now produced some healthy, 'normal' sized leaves instead of the undersized, sickly looking ones it was showing for ages.

Good news eh?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal