Author Topic: Acidic tomato variety.  (Read 2583 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Acidic tomato variety.
« on: April 06, 2015, 21:06:16 »
I know I'm running late for sowing GH toms but I'm looking for a good variety for cooking with. In the past we've found our home-grown a bit too sweet for a sauce. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Acidic tomato variety.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 08:27:20 »
I know I'm running late for sowing GH toms but I'm looking for a good variety for cooking with. In the past we've found our home-grown a bit too sweet for a sauce. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

This answer isn't meant to be frivolous -  how about adding a few drops of balsamic vinegar to your tomato sauce?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:07:38 »
Hmm.. :icon_scratch: ...difficult one to answer as what is 'good' for my taste buds might not be same for you.
Personally I don't mind sweetness as then I don't need to add anything to sweeten my sauces...and just like Galina said..splash of vinegar will give some balance to the flavours.
When I make my own sauce, I always aim to use as much as possible more 'meatier' type of tomatoes..or 'cooking' tomatoes, as they are less watery. But also add some cherry ones or other sweeter sort just because their flavours.
One nice 'meatier' type is Jersey Devil that I like for sauce making..good cropper too!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:36:25 »
I am trying Jersey Devil this year - mainly to make sauce.  That and Big Mama.  However most of the plum types are regarded as saucing varieties rather than table ones.  San Marzano or any of the Roma types are always recommended.  Can't say if they are more acidic but they don't have the sweetness of most table or cherry toms...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 19:51:51 »
Thanks folks, that's some great food for thought if you pardon the pun! Mrs Gordonmull likes the sound of Jersey Devil and we'll give the vinegar tip a go as well.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:28:00 »
Thanks folks, that's some great food for thought if you pardon the pun! Mrs Gordonmull likes the sound of Jersey Devil and we'll give the vinegar tip a go as well.

Just wanted to add: using lemon juice rather than balsamic vinegar is more flavour neutral.   :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal