Author Topic: Pea support question  (Read 9536 times)

small

• Hectare
Pea support question
« on: March 13, 2015, 15:10:10 »
For years, I've used canes and chicken wire to give peas something to cling onto, and every year the whole lot collapses by the end of the season. It doesn't seem to affect the crop, but looks a mess! We have available a quantity of rigid weldmesh (ex-chicken run) and I wondered has anyone used this for peas?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Pea support question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 16:28:43 »
Sorry, cant say that I've used that stuff...but I can't see why you could not use it.
I've made some supports from metal stock fencing..just length of fencing turned into hoop shape and the ends fastened together, couple of canes pushed through to keep it all in place and job done. That stuff in sturdy enough to hold the weight of the plants AND enviromesh netting (to keep birds away)....doesn't rot and I've even stacked and tied couple 'hoops'  together to support  tall growing peas :icon_cheers:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 16:33:21 »
I do as you can see here;

When I grew lots of Chrysants & Dahlias I laid it horizontally!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 19:27:29 »
We do too, but as we grow heritage peas, almost all over 6' we need two runs one above the other!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 20:00:03 »
You cant beat the traditional hazel pea stick. There are literally thousands of acres of neglected former coppice and individual hazel stubbs along hedgerows that could and should be used for pea boughs and many other purposes to maintain the life of this entirely renewing resource.If you do not have the inclination or ability to seek out a source for harvesting, approach one of the many agencies, wild life trusts,charcoal burners, and County councils who promote such activities. If you can find a source of hazel bean sticks, there is , generally ,a pea bough atop each.
I'm growing Realseeds Standard of England peas, and have found some 9ft pea boughs for them . Only problem unsolved- how do I get up to pick them!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:50:54 »
Thanks all, I think I'll give it a go. Ancellsfarmer, I've failed miserably in the past with using hazel (got quite a few hazel trees on the land), maybe you could post a photo or two when you've got this year's up and running?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 09:45:06 »
I've just been looking through my old photos and found one example of my pea supports..

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 11:00:19 »
I've just been looking through my old photos and found one example of my pea supports..
What was the nature of your failure? Please clarify.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 11:58:49 »

I think you got 'wrong end of the stick'....earlier on the post I mentioned using stock fencing for my peas supports..and to show 'Small' (original poster with 'failure') I posted the photo for.
..actually that particular pea crop with its supports was far from failure..only issue I had was the variety I was growing there, not the nicest of the mange touts.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 12:58:35 »
I use a similar system to Tee Gee but use chicken wire with lamp holder support. The chicken wire has lasted some 35 years and when the crop is pulled up the wire is just rolled up. The rows are either 20 or 30 ft. long.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 07:29:28 »

I think you got 'wrong end of the stick'....earlier on the post I mentioned using stock fencing for my peas supports..and to show 'Small' (original poster with 'failure') I posted the photo for.
..actually that particular pea crop with its supports was far from failure..only issue I had was the variety I was growing there, not the nicest of the mange touts.
I think I got the wrong end of the quote button.
Apologies Goodlife, it was Smalls posting that I wished to clarify!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 08:48:59 »
What an honour to be confused with Goodlife!
Ancellsfarmer: it's a long while ago, but as far as I remember the peas didn't cling very well, needed too much 'help,', and once they got some size, the whole lot fell over just as badly, and at the end of the season the sorting out of pea haulm for compost and hazel twigs for bonfire was a faff...but I suppose we all find the ways that suit us in the end...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 10:30:09 »
.................but as far as I remember the peas didn't cling very well, needed too much 'help,', and once they got some size, the whole lot fell over just as badly, and at the end of the season the sorting out of pea haulm for compost and hazel twigs for bonfire was a faff...but I suppose we all find the ways that suit us in the end...

Yep! I accept that I have to tie them up.  I grow mostly the tall varieties in 'corral' fashion.  Tall bamboos in the corners, the peas in the centre and periodically I feed string round the outside and tie in any that have gone outside the corralled area.  A chickenwire double 'fence' would make it easier, but I get by with my way.  I start off with long lengths of string and leave the ends uncut, so the string for the next feed-around is already there. 

Pea sticks are a good idea to get small plants started or for short varieties just to get them gripping on to something as they start to grow.

To address this problem, Alan Kapuler has bred a few varieties with modified tendrils (which he calls hypertendrils - a mass of tendrils which cling to supports or other plants better than the usual pea tendrils).  But even those I need to tie up (on our slightly windy site).
http://peaceseedslive.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/2015-seed-list-from-peace-seeds.html
  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:35:04 by galina »

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 15:05:37 »
Only problem unsolved- how do I get up to pick them!

As they crop from about 3-4' pick and eat/freeze as far up as you can reach and save the rest for seed!
 :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 18:38:47 »
here are my self supporting peas dont know what variety they are but i grow them every year and they taste great
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 04:06:17 »
I have used an old recycled "love seat" frame and tied wire mesh over it for my peas to climb on then let them fall over the edge. It is about 1800mm high.
My usual method is to use tall star pickets (about 2100mm out of the ground) and tie baling twine horizontal from post to post about 250mm apart. Spans of 2-3 metres not too bad but too heavy at 4 metres.
With 9 foot high vines why not let them topple over once they get to 2 metres then let them grow up again when they get close to the ground.
I also use vertical strings from a bar for beans but peas wont hang onto these.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 21:39:06 »
I have an old ELC swing frame... as the boys are now in their 20's it makes a good frame for climbing veg...  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 21:45:57 »
I have an old ELC swing frame... as the boys are now in their 20's it makes a good frame for climbing veg...  :wave:

Brilliant idea! I might see if anyone has one of Freecycle.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 22:12:36 »
I use my kids old swing in this manner

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 22:32:11 »
I need to figure out how to make that kind of structure upside down, so it's like a V shape rather than an A shape, to save space in my raised beds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal