Author Topic: Wisley and club root  (Read 2312 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Wisley and club root
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:00:13 »
Just a bit of a warning.

RHS Wisley has a lovely model vegetable garden, with raised beds and little gates leading in (to keep out rabbits etc). If you enter it from the rock garden area, you come in at the shed end and there's no indication of any problems.

If you enter from the orchard side, there is a board telling visitors that club root is endemic in the garden, and how they minimise the effects.

I walked into it from the unmarked side, wearing my gardening boots! And was very cross when I found out about the club root. I got back to the car, took off the boots and put them in a plastic bag and drove barefoot back home, scrubbed the earth off the boots and put them in Jeyes fluid for a few hours. They smelled for weeks!

So beware, if you're visiting Wisley, don't wear any shoes that you'll wear at the allotments if you don't already have club root...  as it can be transferred on shoes.  Bear in mind that even if you don't go in the veg garden, others have done, and have probably walked it out onto the rest of Wisley too.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re: Wisley and club root
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 14:44:59 »
Blimey. Thanks for that. They should have more warning signs up if that's that case.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 18:27:28 »
I seem to remember watching the club root problems on Gardeners World last year.  They were trialing something or the other when the noticed they had a problem.  They should warn you at the entrance to the gardens, not just that section, as you say, people have stomped through, picked up infected soil and stomped it along paths.

Love the smell of jeyes fluid though!  Bet you weren't bothered by midges on the plot!! ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 19:57:34 »
Love the smell of jeyes fluid though! Bet you weren't bothered by midges on the plot!! ;D

not much - or by anything else! Had to keep the boots in the house shed cos they were that strong!

I want to go back there this next week to see how they are getting on: I'm not sure which shoes to go in though - probably my wellie shoes cos they can cope with being soaked! and I don't drive in them so it won't get on the car mats...  It's hard to know whether it's overreacting but I just *don't* want to take anything back that I can't get rid of...  or that might infect someone else, which is way worse...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 19:04:12 »
I wouldn't say it was over-reacting- you are merely trying to ensure something nasty stays at its source.

Mark

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 19:20:26 »
How about  firing off a E-mail to the RHS saying that you are unhappy about the poor warnings about the club-root?    They may get their act together and put sufficient warnings up.

Mark

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal