Author Topic: Home base blueberries  (Read 2099 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Home base blueberries
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:10:53 »
Hi everyone, walking around my local Homebase I spotted blueberry bushes for £8. The looked like good healthy plants, has anyone bought them and if so did they fruit well? :coffee2:
Paul

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Home base blueberries
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:23:00 »
I have bought couple, about 2 years ago...and as long as the plants look good, they are as good as from anywhere else.
If you don't have any blueberry bushes already, check that you get 2 different varieties as cross pollination will benefit their cropping success.
As for planting...bigger the bush is able to grow (check the final size on line if it is not stated in label), more room they will need...sizes vary hugely depending of the variety( bit it doesn't have any difference from pollination point of view...as long as there is variation..)

rooty

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 18:22:56 »
Hello Marlboro

I started a thread about Bilberries just recently, I think that all that was said in advice to me can be applied to Blueberries.

Up here in Lincolnshire, Wilcos are selling two different plants for £4 (Goldtraube and Brigitta)  I bought a couple.  The plants are relatively small about 6-9 ins.   Personally I dont think the cost of the plants is very significant, I have found the cost of ericacious? soil, compost, and also the pots to keep them in far outweigh the plants.  If you already knew all this then sorry to be repeating it.

Best Wishes  -  R

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:02:28 »
I'm with Goodlife and would go by "they look healthy plants" I just received some from T&M, bought them when they were on a 'special offer' I should have known better as, one is an good plant the other two are crap - broken twigs in pot!

Let us know how yours do, what varieties did you get?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal