Author Topic: shed roof too long to fix guttering  (Read 3356 times)

Sunflower2

shed roof too long to fix guttering
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:57 »
I have a shed 6' x6' shed on my allotment.  It is old but very sturdy.  I want to put guttering on the shed but the roof overlap sticks out too much to catch water in a gutter.  The guttering needs to be 5" away from the wall to be affective.  On my other shed l was able to just screw brackets and fix guttering.  This shed is quite different and has caused me to think how l can best solve this problem.

Anyone got any good ideas.

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
Re: shed roof too long to fix guttering
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 09:43:08 »
Morning - why not put a batten to where you would fix the brackets that brings it out the required width to enable the overhang to drop rain into the gutter. OR just a couple blocks of wood that brings out the required distance rather than a batten. Hope that makes sense.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:43:33 »
Could you put two post into ground and fix the guttering on those rather than attaching it on shed itself? ...there might be opportunity to use the posts as supports to grow something there...wire/wooden slat across and canes tied across for beans or something?
Guttering on shed side and canes and plants on other....?  :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 11:20:27 »
Could you put two post into ground and fix the guttering on those rather than attaching it on shed itself? ...there might be opportunity to use the posts as supports to grow something there...wire/wooden slat across and canes tied across for beans or something?
Guttering on shed side and canes and plants on other....?  :toothy10:
....taking this bit further...
...you could make kind of guttering 'aqueduct' giving you opportunity place your water storage nearer to crops or where the water is more easily accessible (should you need it).

:drunken_smilie:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 18:23:07 »
There's a product called Hall's Rainsaver that clamps the gutter onto the edge of the roof rather than being screwed to the shed wall.  That might solve your problem (at a price).

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 20:20:57 »
Once an ironmonger- allways an ironmonger! I remember being told when training, that I would become "the last ironmonger iin England" Not quite , but its all over now.
What you require are called "cast iron gutter brackets" It matters not whether you put plastic gutter on them.
See:
http://www.guttercentre.co.uk/Saint-Gobain-PAM-UK-Classical-Beaded-Half-Round-Cast-Iron-Gutter-Side-Fix-Rafter-Bracket-1?gclid=CKWUstfh-sICFabLtAodfWQAHw

You may get them locally, try builders merchants, roofing supplies or if you can find one , an ironmonger!

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:40:43 »
There is a product called fascia-less gutters (here is one in Australia which has a pic http://www.gandgbrackets.com.au/).
The bracket end is screwed to the under side of the roof corrugation with support from the top (and screwed down from the top through it) and the holder part of the bracket is positioned to carry the gutter. Too simple!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 22:48:27 »
There is a product called fascia-less gutters (here is one in Australia which has a pic http://www.gandgbrackets.com.au/).
The bracket end is screwed to the under side of the roof corrugation with support from the top (and screwed down from the top through it) and the holder part of the bracket is positioned to carry the gutter. Too simple!
Guess they'd be the wrong side up for us though!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal