Author Topic: lovelly allotment people  (Read 3069 times)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
lovelly allotment people
« on: March 21, 2005, 13:24:45 »
what lovelly people we seem to have on our site

as it was a georgious weekend everyone was down at the site
and we were given so much free stuff that people didnt use ie a fork rake hoe and a coldframe thingie and offers of all sorts of stuff - loads of stawberry plants use of a rotivator strimmer and hedge trimmer

what kind people

helen

wardy

• Hectare
Re: lovelly allotment people
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 22:16:26 »
They sure are Waggi  :)  I've not been up my plot for yonks (back ache) but drove past this morning on me way to the chiropracter and a chap I know on the lotties saw me and started waving me to stop.  He'd picked me a nice bunch of leeks  ;D    He thought if I made chicken and leek soup I'd be cured.  I made up a pan of the stuff for tea so I'll see if it works.  I certainly felt better when I'd eaten it.  My OH did too and he's been in bed with flu  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 22:40:26 »
Nice weather yesterday so we went to the lottie with lots of plans of things to do. Well, we didn't get much done as other lottie holders had the same idea but since we hadn't seen each other all winter there was a lot of talking to catch up on. We had a wonderful day and I think nobody got the things done they had planned to hehehe.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 22:50:40 »
Went up to my plot today and was alone for just 15 minutes....slowely but surely people arrived.  Jack of course, so long as it is dry and warm, Jack will be there.....then Ron, and another couple who have an absolute immaculate couple of plots, but they are way over the far end of the site and I have never spoken to them, and my neighbour who I haven't seen since last summer!  He arrived, with his wife, and a new shed for his plot!  You know spring is in the air when people start working their plots, and I am pleased - since about November I have been the only person on the plot as they all leave the allotments bare or covered in greenmanure...me, I have been able to pick something fresh weekly from the allotments.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:24:19 »
I've not done anything on my plot for ages except put a bit of manure in my new bin.

I was going past though yesterday when a lotty mate flagged me down to give me some leeks.  I had to laugh at him - he was trying to light a fire as he's burning his shed.  He only had two matches and one had blown out.  So he took his remaining match and scrunched up newspaper and sat in his car and lit it!  He came flying out of the car with a ball of fire - trying to get back to his plot before he burned his hand off  ;D

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 10:01:08 »
I cannot wait to get an allotment the community sounds just like what neighbours used to be like.

Friendship and everyone helping each other

Please let me get one quick!!!!!

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 16:01:34 »
Agreed allotment people are so nice! The people I've met are real characters and all have given me some very sound advice. I've had the use of a wheelbarrow from one, some garlic plants from another, and lots of black plastic sheeting from another.
And best of all.... free tools from the woman who lives across the street. A hoe, fork, long shears, and a wheelbarrow.

jamie

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 20:02:09 »
Saw my mate Pete at the Allotment on Saturday, I forgot I'd joked about him getting me some Australian wine from France last week. Guess what he turned up with 2 boxes! I remember giving him some mouse food (broad beans) after the mice had eaten all the broad beans he'd planted. It's nice to share experiences.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 17:36:37 »
broad beans = mouse food !  Like it!  I've been there all to often, that and peas.  Shame they're so cute.  the same can't be said about the pesky pidgeons though !!!
Get with the beat Baggy

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 20:08:43 »
i havent got an allotment :(

but i have got a garden and you lot-so when i've finished a-diggin' in me garrrrrrden i come here for a chat and a cuppa tea over the beans and carrots......
i must say-some of you have veeeery nice plots....theres one thing-its always sunny here and there is always someone working their cyber plot that'll stop for a chinwag! ;)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 20:59:46 »
we walk out of our back door into our allotment area....and into a ready made community of like minded souls....and the joy of tilling the soil brings back a simplicty to our hetic city lifestyle....for me to go out and garden on a saturday morning is more replenishing than any mad retail therapy that others do on the weekends..seeking that serenity and peace in a new item or better mobile...whne its at their feet...mother earth! having moved here 3 years ago the lottie community has become a home and given us a sense of belonging again. thank you for the allotments...may they flourish forever ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 18:19:44 »
Oh what a lovely post Kev - brought tears to my eyes ;D  I totally agree.  I was back at the plot this morning to go and talk to me onions and everyone, was out rotovating.  Right flamin din  ;D

I only did a little bit of pottering about.  I was supposed to be getting my spuds in but got diverted.  My lotty neighbour was showing me her Christmas pressy - a Mantis tiller.  She had a bit of trouble starting it but when it did she got on with it very well.  She was turning in her green manure with it.

My OH was busy laying a base for the shed (at last)

Oh I forgot to mention I got a sunburnt conk  ;D

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 19:53:05 »
Years ago people at work used to think it was "nice but quaint" that I enthused about our lottie so much then one youngster met up with a chap seriously into organic way of  life so they got an allotment were hooked and got another, then gradually a few more revealed that they too had lotties and that was it - we were an office community, just like on our lottie sites picking each other's brains, sympathising and encouraging - and full of admiration for anyone who grew a great cauli!

To love a lottie is to love life  ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 20:11:03 »
oo-er...sorry-sidetracked here..i just saw-i have 2 stars! ;D
wardy-i dont know if you saw-on another thread i asked you the details of the allotment dvd you were talking about-could you pm me with the details please?its sounds really good.......
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 22:51:49 »
it has happened again as i had some spare straw and offered it about and got twenty strawberry plants and some rosemerry
god lottie peeps are so nice

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 00:19:16 »
As a complete novive to all of this, I wandered around the allotments last weekend in search of a regular to ask about carrot fly... came away with the info plus half-a-dozen leeks.

The chap one plot over called me across, to inspect a whacking great blue plastic bin - forced rhubarb, 'just help yourself before you pack up for the day.'

Another bloke told me he was digging up some leeks, beet and parsnips later in the week, and asked 'where can I leave some for you, so you can pick them up later?'

Another allotment neighbour 'don't worry about strawberries and rhubarb, just tell us when you've got somewhere to put them, and I'll sort some out.'

'Got some mint, hinney?.... here yu are... mind, mek sure yu put it in summac, pet.'

I've stepped into a time warp.  :)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 09:00:48 »
its fab isn't it? Gadfium - the 'hinny' gave you away as being from up here!  :D

i was so pleased last year when i had something to give back - chilli plants and lots and lots of raspberries!

i love it down my plot but a couple of the plotholders live down my street (which is in itself like a timewarp) and we sit out front on the pavement with a glass of something homemade and chat for hours in the summer when we're back from the plots!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 09:07:35 »
i like being in a time warp it takes me away from all the townies that live near us
bring on a time warp 8)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 09:15:14 »
Quick chorus everyone
"let's do the time warp ag a a a a i n !"
We've got new neighbours and we gave them a few calabrese seedlings yesterday (there wasn't enough to justify a new row and we did say as much when we gave them to them) they were thrilled.  Nice isn't it ?
Get with the beat Baggy

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 10:00:04 »
Too right Kev

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal