Author Topic: My dog is gone  (Read 6951 times)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
My dog is gone
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:19:15 »
My Labrador Summer was 14 at the beginning of this month. I've had her since she was a puppy, and she was a lovely intelligent friendly dog that I loved very much.

On Christmas Day afternoon she was sick after the small amount of dinner we gave her, and then refused to eat the next day, with liquid diarrhoea on Saturday. We took her to the vets on Saturday who said she was probably suffering from acute pancreatitis or gastric problem and gave us Tramadol painkillers to use instead of her usual Metacam (for arthritis), hoping that she'd start to feel better once the pain eased and get her appetite back. We talked about the fact that there are difficult decisions to be made with older dogs particularly, and it's been in the back if my mind for a while now that at some point we might need to euthanise her if she was in too much pain.

I was dreading having to be responsible for the decision to end her life (or worse, to prolong her pain in the hope that she'd recover) but she took that decision out of my hands this morning.

The Tramadol made her dopey. Sunday she was very sleepy, refusing to stand or eat or go outside, and wouldn't even drink water. We were going to take her to the vets again today but when we woke up she was gone.

Of course I'm extremely sad and fighting with guilt, even though I don't think we did anything wrong it's really hard not to blame yourself when something like thus happens. I'm really missing her already. She was a great dog and I'm sad she's gone, and I'm trying to console myself with the fact that at least she's not in pain anymore.

Goodbye Summerdog. :(

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:37:58 by Silverleaf »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: My dog is gone
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:27:55 »
I feel your pain Silverleaf especially at this time of year.  It is part of being a pet "owner" I guess and you just have to think of all the wonderful times you had together rather than dwell on the last few days. You did what was right at the time, hindsight is a wonderful thing and there is no point in wondering what might have been.

Take care..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:35:47 »
Thank you Nick, of course you're right, but it's so new I guess it's really hard to feel anything other than sad until some of that initial pain has lessened.

I'll try to think about good times. I can cry and smile at the same time.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:41:20 »
It's always painful to lose a loved one but try and concentrate on the good times you all had together and the happy memories of a good life.
Obxx - Vendée France

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 10:42:20 »
Happier times. Sure.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:45:07 by Silverleaf »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:58 »
Another pic, of a relaxing Summerdog.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:52:35 »
Last one for now...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 11:58:19 »
I am sorry to read about your dog, Silverleaf.  There is so much sadness in your post.  Summer looks a lovely dog.  I am upset for you, but it is good that her suffering is at an end and that it wasn't prolonged.  Her natural time to go had come and you did what you could for her. 

Just look at her, she obviously had a good life and was much loved.  Thank you for sharing photos of happier times with us.  Summer looks contented and happy.

Hug for you ( )

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 13:06:38 »
So sorry for you ....I,ve been there and know . These next few weeks will be very hard for you ,when you have to tell people and especially as and when you go to places where you took  her ...gradually you will remember the happy times  . You gave her a great life and did what you could when she was poorly , bless you .
My heart goes out to you today . Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 13:31:49 »
Ahh....I'm so fond of the faces of older dogs..there is something about in their eyes and all the grey hairs. You have done yourself proud to keep her 'well' for so many years...labs don't often get to that age.
It is sad to loose one's best friend...and you will carry on filling up when you are reminded of her, but that is sign of love you felt for her...nothing wrong with it. I'm filling up now as I type...I'm reminded of my Brandy when I look at your Summer's photos.
But...as long as we 'feel and remember'...part of them carry on..
Cry if and when you need to...look through photos if you can and when it doesn't hurt too much anymore, maybe you are then ready start next phase.....take your time to remember all her lovely traits and  all the 'monkey moods' =the slight naughtyness..yes, they all have/do it.. maybe remembering some of it make you laugh too.. :angel11:

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 14:06:29 »
My heartfelt sympathies. Mum always said to remember our pets with fondness and a smile.   
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 14:28:39 »
Thank you so much everyone, it makes me feel a little better reading your lovely comments.

Summer is now at the vets and she'll be collected on Thursday to be cremated. We chose an urn for her ashes but we may well scatter her somewhere nice, haven't decided yet. Leaving her at the vets was the hardest thing so far - I know she's no longer here but leaving her knowing we wouldn't see her again was absolutely horrible.

Later we're going to collect together an album of nice pictures (we have a lot on the computer) and possibly get a photo book printed. And we'll print something to frame as well.

One of my favourite Summer stories - the first year I grew Golden Sweet mangetout peas I went out with a bowl one evening to pick some for dinner. I left the bowl on the grass so I could pick with both hands, and I was dropping in handfuls of peas as I moved along the row. After a while I realised that the bowl wasn't filling up very fast, and then I discovered why. Summer was following me, and every time I turned my back she had her nose in the bowl stealing my pea pods. If I hadn't heard crunching sounds I'd never have known!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 15:08:56 »
Poor you, I do feel sorry for you. You will always miss her, but as the others said, it sounds as if her time had come (she looks a great old dame in your photos!) and it sounds as if her passing was swift and painless, which is a blessing.
I'll be thinking of you,
Antipodes
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 15:28:36 »
So sad when one loses a loyal friend. Big hugs from me too.  I do know exactly how you feel.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 15:33:17 »
Sorry to hear your sad news xx

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2014, 17:23:32 »
I am so sorry to read about the loss of your dear Summer.  She has had a wonderful life with you and her contentment shines through in the lovely photos you have shown us.
We lost our dog just after Christmas 3 years ago and I still feel her loss after all this time so I know what you are going through, Silverleaf.  The tears you shed are natural and show how much you cared for her.  Sending you love and hugs at this very sad time.    Pauline  xxxx

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 21:17:08 »
Sad,  hope you can start to enjoy the memories.

I like to remember people and event through plants.  Hopefully you will be able to have great memories of Summer when the mangetout are ready in the garden.

gertie50

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 14:14:48 »
Sorry for your loss. Hope you feel better soon.

Gertie.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 16:11:36 »
It is heart breaking when our furry friends leave us however earlier today I came across this and it is also so true as I still remember my Laddie and feel he is here with me even though nearly 4 years have gone by now

http://www.hrtwarming.com/why-dogs-never-actually-die/
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 19:53:36 »
Sorry to hear about Summer dog.  She sounds like a wonderful character and had a great life with you. I have a soft spot for black labs they are wonderful intelligent creatures. She sounded ready for a little rest x Anne

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal