Author Topic: Weather Bomb  (Read 8909 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Weather Bomb
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:27:26 »
What is all that cr@p about?  It's winter, that's all.

pumkinlover

Re: Weather Bomb
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:53:34 »
Err... I have no idea. Please explain :glasses9:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 11:58:53 »
I think they don't just happen in winter although the effects may feel worse then.

It's real name "Explosive cyclogenesis - known colloquially as a "weather bomb" - is when a storm intensifies as the pressure at its centre drops rapidly (by more than 24 millibars in 24 hours)."

Probably pretty uncomfortable for those caught up in it.    We certainly had enough howling wind and rain here in Belgum to keep me awake most of the night.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/greenland-bomb-cyclone-iceland-uk-alexandra
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:02:05 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:02:59 »
Just a new and 'sexy' way of describing a deep low pressure system that brings storms with it.  Apparently it is  a real weather term.  Anything to attract attention, it seems.   :BangHead:  Why 'bomb' I have no idea either.

Hope everybody stays safe, looks like a nasty storm in places. 

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:08:20 »
Yep I agree completely Ace.

I suppose it is all tied up with letting us know about risks and Michael Fish.

I am waiting to be told when gold will again fall on the streets of London.

Bill

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:20:11 »
It's winter, that's all.

Low pressure below 950 mB is not common, and bound to be disruptive albeit that the Low is, thankfully, sailing well North of Scotland and no longer deepening.

Shipping Sea state forecast for Bailey was "Very rough or high, becoming phenomenal" - which means over 14m :(

"Weather bomb" is an imported Americanism which, personally, I think we could do without regardless of whether the rate of deepening is "explosive" or not.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:22:16 »
there you have it
the meteorologists think we're too thick to work out what "explosive cyclogenesis" is,

or that we'll think it's the next "Terminator" film

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 13:05:45 »
Well it seems to have worked in that it has drawn attention to the likelihood of difficult weather.  Whether you like the term or not, it certainly sticks in the mind and draws attention to the circumstances that could endanger life and limb - all good if you ask me.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 13:53:43 »
Have you notice how weather people in telly like to use word 'dank' ...nothing new but it is almost like in 'fashion' now.
There must be somebody out there with English dictionary in their lap, and getting paid for it too!...trying to find good words that make certain weather conditions sound even 'better'.. :drunken_smilie:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 15:49:19 »
It's winter, that's all.

Exactly!

I find the winter weather forecasts a bit laughable these days!

What would they have made of 1947 when I was but a lad, and I had to wade through snow up to my chin when I walked to school.

In fact I recall the school road sign I had to walk past, you know the one, the one with the two kids walking across a road!

Well the snow had drifted  up to the soles of their feet!

Then there was 1959 I think it was when we had frost and snow solid for three months or more.

In fact I recall they had a 'Bonspiel' (curling) on the nearby loch .....now that is very rare.

Apparently if you heard the ice beneath creaking and groaning that was a good sign in terms of safety!

Let me tell you....it was bloody scary... but I did it!

I I don't know what Health and Welfare would have done in those days what with hundreds of people on the ice!

I even remember cutting a spawning trout out of a stream that had frozen solid!

Now that was a WINTER!

There has been hell on here in Huddersfield because the Council had not gritted the roads the other night.

To my mind it would it would have been a waste of time simply because it 'peed' it down'  all night then froze in the morning!

In fact as a gardener I wished the weather was a bit more like we had in the past, by that I mean the four seasons!

At least then we seemed to be able to organise ourselves better as we had a good idea as what to expect in terms of the weather, whereas now it is so confusing particularly when the weather seems to be in  reverse at times.

But then again I am enjoying my hibernation period and looking forward to the festivities choose what the weather brings!

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 09:47:26 »
A cold winter would kill some bugs ...

... but I now have quite a lot of tender plants, and a mild winter makes a huge difference to the show that they put on the following year. My Bananas were huge this year as their pseudostems survived last winter easily.

Mild winter saves me a fortune on heating too :)

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:46 »
it's not really a bomb any more, if it goes on for weeks

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:01:18 »
No I don't think so neither....and when they mention the dreaded 'jet stream'...you definitely know it means weeks of 'doom'.

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:44:36 »
For anyone not already familiar with it earth.nullschool.net has some lovely animated pictures of wind and temperature

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=temp/orthographic=-16.24,53.36,1024

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 13:04:51 »

No I don't think so neither....and when they mention the dreaded 'jet stream'...you definitely know it means weeks of 'doom'.

so "bomb" is the wrong word

we need something else to describe something very,very bad, that goes on for a long time...:)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 13:17:27 »
We could call it X-Factor, Eastenders, Party Conference Season, Snooker, Football..................
Obxx - Vendée France

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 13:56:05 »
TeeGee:

I even remember cutting a spawning trout out of a stream that had frozen solid!

Now that was a WINTER!

Oh my frozen bits!  :confused2:

I can remember, just  :tongue3:, some outstanding (As far as snow and ice went) winters in the 60's and 70's and a few of those were extra-cold, but even I will easily admit that finding frozen trout tops that... And I even spent one winter in Shetland! Brrrr.
Can't say I'm a fan of these windy and wet winters.

Some of my happy memories seem to include 'ideal' winter conditions for us as kids.
And of course, they all included snow.
Hmmm...

I remember squeaky snow and still, dry air.
Waking up and realising the world sounded somehow different outside, like someone turned the volume down two notches.
The thud of snow on glass, and the immediate rebuke from Mum.
Bobble hats.
Snow on mats.
Lost sheep tunnels and icicle fingers pointing at the frozen ground.

Hot soup in a mug making tiny condensation droplets on your eyelashes as hold it close for warmth and blow on it to cool to it down.
Welly-sock, Half-way on, half-way off.
Mass playground snowball fights.
Painful fingers under the cold tap.
Snow-packed dog hair.
Collective pavement-clearing.
Intermittent school heating.
Snowploughs on trains.

I could go on, and on...
What do you remember of winters when you were young?

"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 14:23:55 »
A panoramic shot of my back garden 21st Jan 2013

As it was before I joined the pictres together;

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 17:07:21 »

This is winter to me,sitting on Dungeness Beach in my little Red house with its powder coating of snow.

:sunny:

The rods sit waiting patiently with their winter coats on for a seasonal Codling to arrive.

and so last winters bounty presents themselves to me !!!!

and very tasty they were too......so throw what you like at me winter.....im ready for you..!!!!

Gazza

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 18:15:59 »
I can only remember the bad one in the early sixties. I was on leave from the navy for xmas and got a telegram telling me not to try and return to ship until the snow had cleared. I didn't go back until march that was when the last of the snowman melted away in the garden. My ship had gone back to the Persian Gulf and I was shipped north to the Artic circle. After that the winters here were so mild I got my three year old son a sledge for xmas and he did not use it until he was eleven. But no bomb down here yet, warmish really until 4 oclock then it gets a bit nippy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal