Author Topic: Slipped a bit over xmas  (Read 3830 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Slipped a bit over xmas
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:59:40 »
But up this morning and back on track. This years resto rezalu ablutions things I'm going to give up, are eating more healthier food, not a diet as such, just less but better for me. No alcohol until easter, then a more sensible approach. Quite a few of my clothes seemed to have shrunk and I have not even worn some of them.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Slipped a bit over xmas
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 12:11:36 »
I thought at first you had had a slip and hurt your self, very glad you haven't.
Your plans sound good and I hope to be adopting a similar healthier eating approach for the year. Hoping this may help boost my energy  :toothy10:

Wishing you success on your ACE diet, sounds professional!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:51:49 »
I've got little beasties in my wardrobe as well who keep shrinking my clothes in the night  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:15:28 »
No alcohol until easter, then a more sensible approach.

I decided to cut back a few years ago. Bought a book to help me figure out the best way. It said something like "To cut back you first need to give up altogether for a decent period, rather than assuming you can just reduce.  Most people that do this then don't resume"

I went "Oh yeah" ... but since then I have rarely had anything to drink at all, surprised myself even!

Haven't missed a night's sleep since (used to wake for an hour or so during the night); no worry driving if our teenage kids were to phone late one night saying "Sorry, I've got myself in a pickle" ...

Good luck with your abstinence :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:46:59 »
I need to cut back on the beer and the food.  I got on the scales this morning and it read "one at a time please!".

Seriously though I ought to leave the beer alone for a while but I do love a beer in the evening.  I may have to go for the total abstinence for a while - just to see if I can do it!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 13:41:29 »
I gave up the booze in July 2012 and I still miss it sometimes.  But I get loads more done in the evenings and it's like having a massive pay rise - so lots of positive things if you can make the adjustment.

If you were giving up smoking, you'd get nothing but encouragement from your mates but you'll be amazed at how many people try to make you have "just one".   And you start to notice the red faces of other heavy drinkers, and how many of them there are.  Sometimes I think we have turned in to a nation of pissheads.

I read biographies of ex-drinkers and self help books to try and find a way of living without it.  I'm not a spiritual person so turning to religion or some such wasn't going to work for me.  Eventually, it dawned on me that unless I gave up, my life was going to be short and unpleasant so I just can't have any and that is the end of it.  If I want to drink, well, that's tough but I've already had plenty.

Good luck ACE, go dry to Easter and you will find that it has shrunk in your life.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 17:56:44 »
I have a rule which was born out of frugality (why waste money on alcohol when you could save it up to buy something you really want?) - I only drink on Saturday evenings unless it's a special occasion.

Now my definition of "special occasion" is quite loose - I'll have a glass of wine or so if we have company for Sunday lunch (unusual) or a pint if I'm meeting a friend I haven't seen for ages in the pub, but I've essentially cut out most of the mindless habitual "it's night time so I can drink now" behaviour.

I find I actually drink less on Saturdays now since I don't feel like I have to drink more than weeknights to mark it as the weekend, if that makes sense. And I appreciate it a lot more.

And really, I don't miss it. Mind you, I only drink because I like the taste anyway...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 21:51:34 »
OH and I have a glass or two of wine on Fridays after dance class if we stay to chat and a glass or two with dinner on Saturday and Sunday.   I don't like beer and either of us likes spirits apart from an occasional gin and tonic.   When we go out it's usually dancing and you can't do ballroom or salsa with drunken feet.   

Over the Xmas/NY break we've had wine with dinner nearly every day and I can certainly feel the differece so booze is out for a couple of weeks and all the idulgent cream and butter and cheese is off the menu till Easter so we can shift the winter blubber before spring.

Good luck to everyone cleaning up their diet and alcohol consumption.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal