Author Topic: Bought some seed potatoes...  (Read 2998 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Bought some seed potatoes...
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:23:58 »
I just wanted to pass on a recommendation. :icon_cheers:
I bought some seed potatoes from here.. http://gardenbridgend.co.uk/store/http-//gardenbridgend-co-uk/store/seed-potatoes/cat-117-html/cat_117.html
I choose to try this company because they were selling good variety of spuds and in small quantities too and their prices weren't greedy neither :icon_cheers:
I placed my order over Christmas holidays...and they sent me email immediately informing the possible date the order would be ready....week later (earlier than the promised date) I received email again stating the weather has allowed them to proceed with the order should I wish to have it earlier...after my answer back, same day, I was informed the couriers delivery date.
I was VERY impressed their effort to keep me informed.
I ordered 3 kg of spuds= 3 varieties and with delivery the order cost just under £12....which I though wasn't that bad..it would have cost me that and more if I would have driven to nearest garden centre AND I got the varieties I was looking for!
The potato varieties are all individually packed into see through bags....and every single spud looks to be in nice condition, they are good size (so much, that should I want to half the tubers, they would be still a good size starters) and all plump, not a single shrivelling skin to be seen (unlike those that I've received in past from 'some' seed companies)..they actually look really good to put in pan and eat  :icon_cheers:
The order came with plenty of 'paper work'...even numpty could not fail to get spuds growing.
:icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:53:33 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bought some seed potatoes...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:32:50 »
Oh..and I ordered...Casablanca...I've grown these once before and was happy with it.
Balmoral...no grown before but I've heard them mentioned by other gardeners so many times, so I though I have to see what is all 'whaff' about..
and third, Saxon, one that is now one of my favourite varieties, not always readily available...they crop really well and for good size spuds and they are waxy too, something that I like..

Few more seed spuds to arrive later on through our allotment contacts...and I'm set for the growing season  :icon_cheers:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 12:46:19 »
It looks like a great choice . I have already ordered from Chesterfield's potato day but they don't have Edzell blue so would have been tempted but they are out of stock. Love the 1kg size though as that is so unusual and useful. Thanks Goodlife  :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 13:33:06 »
Love the 1kg size though as that is so unusual and useful.
That's it...1 kg is just enough and not too much to trial something...just counted my spuds and there is 14 in each bag...and each bag weigh bit over 1kg...there is one spud extra on each  :icon_cheers: In our allotment shop we have 'small bags' but they are 2.5 kg..bit too much for my liking for 'a small amount'.
I was thinking of going to Chesterfield potato day....but laziness did hit my bones and decided to save my car from extra miles..that's the excuse anyway.. :drunken_smilie: :tongue3: Didn't really need to buy that much anyway..and I know myself, I would have been drawn to temptation and got more than I need.. :angel12:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 17:53:26 »
I bought some seed potatoes from here.. http://gardenbridgend.co.uk/store/http-//gardenbridgend-co-uk/store/seed-potatoes/cat-117-html/cat_117.html

That's useful, thanks

I have bought my spuds from JBA for years, always been pleased with the quality and the fact that they stop shipping if the temperature turns cold ... but this year they are not shipping small quantities - and "small" is usually 5 spuds, which is a bit too few for me, and next size up is 2kg

Being able to buy in 1kg increments is perfect :)  sadly already bought mine for this year (including an emergency dash to garden centre for some Pink Fir Apple as JBA had already sold out)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 18:37:58 »
We get our spuds into lottie shop from JBA...but many their varieties are not available even in 2.5kg bags...or we would have to order them in full sacks.
And since we sell ours by 'pre order' way.....not stocking any as such...I wasn't able to buy most of my 'wants'. But I've got them now... :icon_cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal