Author Topic: Soil blockers  (Read 2809 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Soil blockers
« on: November 06, 2014, 20:04:30 »
Hello all.

As usual I struggle for ideas for the family to buy me for Xmas. I came across these http://www.blackberrylane.co.uk/ladbrooke.html and wondered whether any one had any experience of using them?

The part that seems to be the negative aspect is the soil mix - it appears to be a bit time consuming to produce. Could you use any ready made compost with less additives, or a simpler mix?

I look forward to your views.

Regards

Bluecar

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Soil blockers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 23:39:25 »
They seem rather expensive contraptions.  There are some DIY ones on you tube.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 11:14:52 »
I used to have a soil blocker many years back but didn't use if for very long.  I think it is much quicker and easier just to fill pots with compost. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 19:43:37 »
I love mine . So  much easier to transplant!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:53:31 »
Well, That's what Santa got me (among other things). PL glad to hear that you find yours useful. What compost mix do you use?

Regards

Bluecar

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 10:03:20 »
Well, That's what Santa got me (among other things). PL glad to hear that you find yours useful. What compost mix do you use?

Regards

Bluecar

I mixed a bit of JI with the multi purpose but no specific mix. My OH suggested that I clean and dry well after use to keep it in good condition. I find I have lots less pots to wash after and the roots stay in the block when growing so no "teasing out".  :happy7:

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 11:06:54 »
Thanks PL. I wondered whether it needed anything to bind it together but I guess if you make it wet enough it's not a problem. That's a great tip about keeping it clean and dry after use.

Bluecar

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 13:28:00 »
It does bind together enough. Compost varies so much now so no hard and fast rules or measurements. But I am a bit haphazard anyway!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal