Author Topic: Lunar gardening?  (Read 2259 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Lunar gardening?
« on: January 02, 2015, 15:36:53 »
My brother bought me a lunar gardening calendar and accompanying booklet for Christmas. Although it seems to make sense and I'd like to give it a try, I doubt I'll be able to stick to it as I have limited times that I can get to my allotment, but I was wondering whether anyone here has tried it, with or without improved results?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Lunar gardening?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 17:36:09 »
I can't say that I've intentionally tried...but, other year I had exceptionally good and FAST germination results..I just couldn't believe how well that particularly batch of sowings did....so our of curiosity I did check lunar gardening calendar, and it showed that I had sowed that particular type of seeds optimum time  :icon_cheers: :drunken_smilie:
I admit leaning towards..being 'non believer'...but then again, moon has power to shift waters and cause tides, so why not.. :drunken_smilie:
It would be interesting to really do good trial about it..but I know myself, gardening with so specific time table is not for me...I need to do things if and when I have opportunity for it.
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it ...hoping some good results for you... :icon_thumleft:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 19:30:03 »
it showed that I had sowed that particular type of seeds optimum time

I have a theory that people with green fingers somehow sense the right time to sow.   Somehow they are naturally in tune with the moon.   I know someone who always sows his sweet peas at exactly the right time yet is very anti any talk of moon planting.  I get itching and suddenly get the urge to sow things, and it is normally at the right time on the moon calendar.

I was looking at the tide tables for Weston Super Mare and on Monday the tide changes by 10 meter more than 30 feet. So if it has that effect on water, it must be having a huge effect on us all included seedlings and roots.

I am a spectic but do feel it does work.  Tend to keep quiet about it there are some strong cynics on board.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:44:22 »
I just try and imagine telling my head gardener when I was a garden boy that it was not the right time by the moon to do a job he had told me to do. I sow my sweet pea seed on the same date each year because that date gives me good plants for the spring not because the moon is in the right phase.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 17:21:45 »
A few years ago I bought a Belgian gardening magazine to read while the quilts went round and round in teh launderette and it had a lunar calendar and a big article so I tried it.  Nothing venured, nothing gained.

I found that I had excellent rates of germination for all the seeds sown on auspicious days according to type - flower, leaf, fruit or root - and I also found that the seedlings did better planted out on auspicious days.   I can be a bit of a magpie gardener who sets  do one thing and then gets distracted when I see another job that needs doing.  That year I followed the lunar calendar and would go out and do root jobs, or flower/leaf/fruit/maintenance jobs accordingly and found I would get much more done as I was more organised and more disciplined.  I had great crops too.

Haven't seen the magazine or calendar since but I do consult an online calendar from time to time so I can decide, during busy periods like spring, when is the best time to be sowing or liftng and dividing and so on and thus organise my days better.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal