Author Topic: Why go to the Gym I wonder  (Read 4060 times)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Why go to the Gym I wonder
« on: November 08, 2014, 11:52:59 »

A complete work out just looking after the garden lols
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Why go to the Gym I wonder
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:59:44 »
Oh, yes....it can be full work out.. though I would correct that some of those tools would provide action for larger areas of body than just 'back or chest'.
Have a good session with mattock and next day you will feel whole of you body, each and every muscle separately.. :icon_cheers:
And there is no extra 'gym' payments involved other than cost of the tool...rest of it is 'profit'.. :sunny:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:26:28 »
I have always said there is no better or enjoyable way of keeping fit. I have dug, raked, hoed and all the other actions required for gardening since I was 25 and before that 12 years at sea as a boy entrant and rating in the navy. In which I was in the field gun crew so fitness was first and foremost.

Coming up to 70 now and a back that is still strong, overweight but still loads of muscle which I can still use. I can still hold my own with people half my age and I don't intend to give up yet.

Gardening is good for you, no matter how little you do. Just be careful, work within your limits and but watch out for the sneaky little bastard ailments that creep up on you. As you all know with my recent wingeing I am laid low at the moment but still planning my gardening year and looking forwards to my daily workout.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:40:13 »
to show off and pick up women???

only joking

that's salsa classes

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 14:04:48 »
I retired when I was 80 , last winter because of the weather did not do a lot but in the spring felt OLD so I want to keep active this winter. Could not face the gym having had heart surgery  so will go for daily walks .

I have always said there is no better or enjoyable way of keeping fit. I have dug, raked, hoed and all the other actions required for gardening since I was 25 and before that 12 years at sea as a boy entrant and rating in the navy. In which I was in the field gun crew so fitness was first and foremost.

Coming up to 70 now and a back that is still strong, overweight but still loads of muscle which I can still use. I can still hold my own with people half my age and I don't intend to give up yet.

Gardening is good for you, no matter how little you do. Just be careful, work within your limits and but watch out for the sneaky little bastard ailments that creep up on you. As you all know with my recent wingeing I am laid low at the moment but still planning my gardening year and looking forwards to my daily workout.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 19:26:19 »
Do you mean retired from your allotment? What a shame, if so.

I heard some very sad accounts on the radio this morning by women with osteoporosis. I thought (I am 71), as I dragged incredibly heavy bags of wet horse manure across rough grass to my plot, that at least I am doing plenty of weight bearing exercise, which is supposed to ward it off.

I hope walking works for you and that you enjoy it, but when I see people trudging round the village dragging a dog with them, that trudging round an allotment and digging up your own leeks, and trying to outwit the deer and badger, is SO much more interesting than walking.

Having said that, perhaps tactlessly, one of the most interesting characters in our village was "Soldier John" who walked for miles around the countryside every day, knew everyone, passed the time of day cheerfully with all he met, and best of all, accepted my rhubarb, which none of my family will eat. He loved it. I would leave a bag hanging on his fence from time to time.

A friend has recently lost his mother - she was running an allotment into her 90s, he says. I had an elderly neighbour who was so successful at growing her own food that she had to buy a second large chest freezer to store it in. She died in her 80s digging up her potatoes. Way to go!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 22:48:17 »
...gardening since I was 25 and before that 12 years at sea as a boy entrant and rating in the navy.
  Am I the only one who would like to hear about 13-year-old ACE being at sea?  Since you are recuperating in bed, ACE, how about telling us a yarn or two or 10!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 22:50:44 »
...gardening since I was 25 and before that 12 years at sea as a boy entrant and rating in the navy.
  Am I the only one who would like to hear about 13-year-old ACE being at sea?  Since you are recuperating in bed, ACE, how about telling us a yarn or two or 10!

You're definitely not the only one!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:54:00 »

It would not the happy gung ho tale you would be expecting.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 09:44:14 »

It would not the happy gung ho tale you would be expecting.
At our age we don't require a gung ho tale; just that you survived to live another day  :icon_cheers:
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 09:48:40 »
Sorry for the misunderstanding I meant I retired as a professional gardener at the age of 80 as my employer died and we had to leave the tied cottage. I then took on some derelict allotments which you can see in my BlogSpot.

Do you mean retired from your allotment? What a shame, if so.

I heard some very sad accounts on the radio this morning by women with osteoporosis. I thought (I am 71), as I dragged incredibly heavy bags of wet horse manure across rough grass to my plot, that at least I am doing plenty of weight bearing exercise, which is supposed to ward it off.

I hope walking works for you and that you enjoy it, but when I see people trudging round the village dragging a dog with them, that trudging round an allotment and digging up your own leeks, and trying to outwit the deer and badger, is SO much more interesting than walking.

Having said that, perhaps tactlessly, one of the most interesting characters in our village was "Soldier John" who walked for miles around the countryside every day, knew everyone, passed the time of day cheerfully with all he met, and best of all, accepted my rhubarb, which none of my family will eat. He loved it. I would leave a bag hanging on his fence from time to time.

A friend has recently lost his mother - she was running an allotment into her 90s, he says. I had an elderly neighbour who was so successful at growing her own food that she had to buy a second large chest freezer to store it in. She died in her 80s digging up her potatoes. Way to go!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 19:04:39 »
I do sometimes like a swim and a bit of a walk in the warm in the winter when it is cold and pissing with rain.  And perhaps a chillout in the jaccuzi followed by a session in the sauna to warm the old bones. 

But today had a workout digging, manuring and planting strawberries.  No workout will give me a bonus tasty morsels next summer.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal