Author Topic: Weather Bomb  (Read 8911 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: cellulitis
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 18:16:28 »
Great pics TG makes me feel cold just looking at them.  Hopefully not much snow this winter.

I remember 1962/3 we had three months of freezing weather, getting to school on the train was a bit of a nightmare.  The smog was terrible as well. 

No bombs here yet, but certainly plenty of dank going on today.

pumkinlover

Re: cellulitis
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 22:32:27 »
I think you may be meant to post this in"weather bomb"! One of us can move it in the morning! I am just back from allotment Christmas night out so not quite up to such technical skills at the moment! :glasses9:

alkanet

• Half Acre
Re: Weather Bomb
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 10:38:37 »
London warned as 'weather bomb' hits the south

so now we'll really hear some moaning about it

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:41 »
Well, it's certainly moaning round here.  The noise kept me awake most of the night.   No obvious damage so far but the trees and shrubs are definitely taking a battering and it's very wet out there.   Felt warm though when I went out to feed the birds.
Obxx - Vendée France

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 14:44:35 »
isn't it about time the papers started on about norovirus epidemics again? A "Vomit bomb"

to go with the "Obesity Tsunami"

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/tsunami-of-obesity-worldwide-study-2206548.html

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 15:52:22 »

A plate of baked beans would have had more effect than my weather bomb

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 16:19:14 »
Nothing very exciting going on here. Currently 4C wind 3mph humidity 92%. No bombs. 

Looks like being unseasonally warm the middle of next week.   Maybe the wind will coming up from the south once ACE gets busy with the baked beans.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 18:59:20 »

Pah!  Ill be out on my bike as usual...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 20:07:05 »
Oh, happy days....(not)

Yes, I remember the winter of 1947/8 in Sussex when as a 4 yr old I was surprised to find snow falling inside my small wellington boots; I also now have my young mother's diary about trying to keep me and my younger sister warm, with electricity cut off for much of every day, no other fuel of any sort. And both my parents worked at Bletchley Park while I was a baby, and had to put up with terrible conditions and blackouts and no heating and restricted food (they fed me with their weekly egg, and apparently I used to spit it out, to their chagrin).

Fast forward to living in Fife/Scotland the next year and onwards without central heating and learning to skate on local ponds every winter. Cycling to school without gloves and having to soak hands in hot water before being able to write. Ink frozen in the ink wells (remember them? I was an Ink Monitor, supposed to fill them up each day and fish out soggy blotting paper). Outside lavatories at school, very cold, little privacy.

Fast forward again as a student in London in early 60s, each year taking a bus through snow drifts from Fife/Edinborough, journey a freezing 15 hours overnight. Not allowed by my college to wear trousers! Had to sneak in to RAM past the  Lady Supervisor's office, wearing them. Freezing student digs, used to lie in bed to keep warm, reading music scores, until c11am when landlady might turn the heating on.....

The last London smogs, when you could lose your way crossing the road.....

As a young mother myself during the '70s miners' strikes, keeping hot water in thermos to feed my babies with and lighting stored candles to keep room above freezing. Frantic phone calls from London friends because they were being mugged for candles!

Driving to and from Morven on roads made of frozen snow, totally routine exercise.

Bread strike - when was that? Those of us who had stores of yeast and flour were OK (have always made own bread). A chemist friend used his lab to make yeast. (We didn't know then about sour dough).

I know this sounds like the "lived in a shoebox and had to lick the motorway clean every day" skit....what am I referring to? Also George Orwell's books......But it was true for many of us in those years, wasn't it? We were resourceful and inventive.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 22:00:30 »
Fast forward to living in Fife/Scotland

Where ?

I as born and bred in Fife

learning to skate on local ponds every winter.

The bonspiel I mentioned earlier was on Loch Leven

Ink frozen in the ink wells (remember them? I was an Ink Monitor, supposed to fill them up each day and fish out soggy blotting paper).

I remember the pens better we used them as darts then we were expected to write with them, and even draw with them in art class.

I remember one of my pictures getting pride of place on the art class wall.

Outside lavatories at school, very cold, little privacy

....and the shiny Izal toilet paper and frozen cisterns!

Ah! The memories!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 11:06:53 »
I lived in and around St Andrews in Fife until I left to be a student in London (big culture shock....).

Yes, Izal, but also squares of newspaper next to lavatories at the bottom of the garden.

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 11:53:28 »
isn't it about time the papers started on about norovirus epidemics again? A "Vomit bomb"

spoke too soon. Today's Express

NHS winter meltdown: Hospitals in killer bug crisis
THE deadly winter vomiting bug has brought the NHS to crisis point, sending hospital waiting times soaring to record levels.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/546714/nhs-winter-meltdown-a-e-struggle-treat-killer-bug

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal