Author Topic: Vinegar tastes like water!  (Read 2831 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Vinegar tastes like water!
« on: September 26, 2014, 09:08:20 »
Just making pickles with my gherkin glut when I noticed that the Sarsons malt vinegar I was pouring into a pan had no smell - tasted it - it has become brown water!

Bought it in bulk a couple of years ago as I use it a lot for cooking and cleaning. Never dreamed it would lose its flavour like this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Had to resort to expensive wine vinegar....

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Vinegar tastes like water!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 21:24:59 »
Apparently no-one has had a similar experience.....  I am still baffled that sharp, strong Sarsons malt vinegar can turn into watery tasteless liquid over a couple of years.....

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 23:08:39 »
No never happened here and I also have a few older bottles hanging around bought on the Continent where wine vinegar is so much cheaper.

It should last indefinitely according to this:

http://www.thekitchn.com/vinegar-does-it-have-a-shelf-l-89519

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:21:04 »
Interesting, thanks. I bought a huge heavy container of Sarsons malt vinegar from a Chinese supermarket (also much cheaper) and decanted some of it into a plastic barrel for ease of carrying, and it is that that has lost all hint of vinegar. Very annoying and baffling. Have not yet looked into the original giant container.

Last year I found the plastic barrel had developed a "mother", which I used to make home made vinegar out of a mountain of apple peelings. This is quite a well flavoured vinegar, but not strong enough, I think, to use for pickles.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:39 »
I've not heard of that before. I've known the flavour evaporate somewhat in an open bottle, but not a sealed container. I wonder if you contact Sarson's they might be able to help?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:41:19 »
What a good idea.....will have to check the original container first, then ask them what they think happened.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 06:59:32 »
It's best to store vinegar in glass bottles if you are going to keep it for a long time.
Certain types of plastic can become permeable when exposed to some substances such as water or acid solutions over a period of time.
There is a lot of science involved, which I can't say I fully understand, but I do know the food industry has certain plastics they use for certain things because of the way liquids and gases can and do transfer across plastic containers and films.
If you're feeling like a bit of light reading before breakfast  :coffee2: you could read this link from the International Journal of Polymer Science, Food Packaging Permeability Behaviour: A Report, author
Valentina Siracusa
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijps/2012/302029/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 10:44:45 »
I was wrong! It was not Sarsons malt vinegar that I bought but Hong malt vinegar, now that I have looked at the original 20 litre container, claiming 5% acidity. It does indeed now contain tasteless watery brown fluid. So I apologise to Sarsons for casting aspersions, and will certainly not buy Hong vinegar again..... A false economy. I made very good chutney with it (in my opinion) last year, and used it for window cleaning, wiping out the fridge etc, but it is absolutely useless now.

I am inclined to agree with the advice to store it in glass, too, after this experience. Thank you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal