Author Topic: Zombie Cordyline  (Read 1671 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Zombie Cordyline
« on: July 06, 2014, 17:07:25 »
Three years ago I pulled out a cordyline that had died in the frosts and it got chucked on a shed roof while I tried to decide what to do with the trunk .... this year it has sprouted (it didn't during the lst two years).... now I'm at a loss as to what to do with it.... I can't find any roots on it , but it's got about four or five little tops sprouting at the top end of the otherwise apparently dead trunk.... I've been removing the "decorative plants" in the garden now since I moved in , there's a shrub that isn't long for this world cos I need the space for a BBQ and a buddleja that survives cos I like bees, and that's about it, otherwise it's all edibles.... I can bring it to the meetup if someone wants it...

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Re: Zombie Cordyline
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 19:05:48 »
If I could only have one plant ..then it would have to be a buddleja ...for the bees and beautiful butterflies ...I agree with you !
 I,m sure someone will snap up that Cordyline for their tropical /jungle style garden   :coffee2:  Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Zombie Cordyline
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 22:31:03 »
There's two at the front of my house that seemed well and truly dead after the winter when we had 4ft of snow. I cut the trunks right down to the ground and was shocked a year later to see both were sending out new leaves!

They look as good as new now, and I really thought I'd lost them. They are obviously much tougher than they look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal