Author Topic: 'Rambling Rector'  (Read 2380 times)

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
'Rambling Rector'
« on: July 03, 2014, 23:21:16 »
I have a Rambling Rector climbing rose that has just finished flowering, it has got out of hand and needs drastic cutting back, is this the right time to do it?

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: 'Rambling Rector'
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:38:05 »
Yes...it is good time to do it just as the flowering has finished....all the new growth it makes should flower again next year.
I Looooove 'Rambling Rector'...I used to have one and it had such a strong scent when in flower.
Once you have given it its hair cut...give it good feed too so it has energy to but new and healthy growth on..and what is important..'ripen' the wood before winter comes =recipe for good show for next year ;)

Hmm...where could I fit 'Rector' in my garden again.....(going away to wonder around...looking a 'free' spot amongst the jungle)..

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:18:00 »
Thanks very much for your reply, as you say, beautiful scent and flowers, but by gum has it got some big sharp thorns.

Alan 
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 11:10:01 »
There was a rambling rector in one garden I worked in but it blew away with the tree is was growing on when we had the big storm but luckily I had taken 3 cuttings from it which all rooted so we did not lose it.  :icon_cheers:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:35:30 »
There was a rambling rector in one garden I worked in but it blew away with the tree is was growing on when we had the big storm but luckily I had taken 3 cuttings from it which all rooted so we did not lose it.  :icon_cheers:
I wouldn't like to be nearby when that came down...as Allan said...nasty thorns. It is 'funny' how cutting root so easily when there is definite ' need' for it...but try to do some for sake of it and you can be sure the success rate won't be that good. I wonder if plants truly 'feel' the importance of the situation... :drunken_smilie:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 14:52:33 »
When I first read this thought you were going to complain about a long church service.  :sunny: :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal