Author Topic: Apple Tree  (Read 1509 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Apple Tree
« on: June 24, 2014, 15:04:54 »
We had a bumper crop of eating apples last year (laxtons superb) but this year not one apple on the tree.  We lost the victoria plum tree which was standing next to it in the gales in the winter. Do you think this will have any effect on the apple tree?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Apple Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 15:31:19 »
If anything loosing one tree would reduce competition and apple may even like it better.
I don't know about your area but when my apples were flowering we had couple of colder nights that time resulting not so good fruit set this year. I will get some apples but not every tree has been success.
It may even be that the plum has normally provided some shelter against cold for you apple and now not being there it has had effect.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 17:32:29 »
Like Jayb mine are not so good this year.  Because of the cold march they flowered later, so is was warmer for the flowers.  One of my trees James Grieve is putting in a rather poor show this year, definitely a couple of cold nights. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 22:38:21 »
I seem to have forgotten to say the cold march was last year, it was warmer this year so the plant flowered early, and then was caught by a frost.   Not many bees about early on.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:20:25 »
In addition to the weather this spring (where a lot of apples got caught out), there is also the tendency for biennial bearing in some varieties.  A glut, then the tree needs time to get over that.  If you have a year with too many fruit, a bit of thinning after the June drop can be beneficial. 

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 21:13:07 »
Laxton Superb is an apple variety that is renowned for biennial bearing, perhaps this is why it never caught on commercially. A shame really because its flavour is excellent.
I try to control mine by thinning but in practice you can only thin if you can reach the fruit easily by hand without Health and Safety issues, so your trees must be low-growing. I understand that research has recently found that for maximum effect thinning should be completed before the largest fruitlets are thicker than the little finger i.e. well before the June drop.
I am trying a lot more thinning this year after a conversation with a expert last autumn at an Apple Day. Most of his (prize-winning) apples, many varieties, are low-growing bushes and most are thinned.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 15:30:38 »
Thanks for advice/suggestions. Although we have had the tree for a number of years I hadn't realised it was a biennial bearing tree. I also think the tree could do with a good prune. Will give this a try

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal