General > Pets Corner

Feeding cats

<< < (2/3) > >>

Borlotti:
Just reading that the ideal diet/natural diet for cats is birds and mice, but don't worry as I live in a built up area and he doesn't catch birds, only one pigeon years ago.   Did catch two mice which I was not happy about as he brought them in the cat flap, and he had just been fed.  My Dad always cooked for my siamese cat and mother moaned about the smell of coley (fish) cooking.  It used to be cheap but it is expensive now.  Dad used to send me to the butchers to get some steak for the cat (and don't tell the butcher is for the cat, and don't tell your mother).  Chan was very spoilt and Dad used to leave the radiator on for him when out and mother was always moaning about that cat. I think that is where I got my love of gardening and cats from Dad, as when I was about 5 used to follow him around the garden, and always wanted to go to the vet with Dad as found it so interesting. I have just bought a large box of Whiskas sachets of cat food, and he won't eat it (that is why I was looking at the ingredients). Think I will do some research on the internet.
Also I want to avoid large vets bills, as treatment for cat's teeth is expensive and I am saving up to have mine done.

ancellsfarmer:
As a  onetime vendor of pet foods, I can advise : That all petfoods sold in UK (and probably all of Europe )are "fit for human consumption". This does not mean that you would enjoy them, just that they do not now contan infections or pathagens. Many animals enter the food chain and those parts not in demand for humans get processed for pets,as may wastes from supermarkets, meat processing plants, cereal factories,bakeries etc. Consider the price in relation to human foods.
Consider cooking for your cat batches of cheaper meats,offal, rabbit,fish heads and freeze them in meal size portions. If your cat does not clear their dish in 5 minutes,you have supersized them!
Most cats hunt for fun, often not eating up their kills, sometimes just delivering it as a trophy. Feeding raw food is difficult in modern homes,it will permanently affect your carpet!!

galina:
When I was a child, our cat was fed mainly bits of lung, cut up bite sized.  Sometimes a bit of chicken or fish heads as we got fish whole, not filleted, and liver as a special treat.  We had a butchers close by who did their own meat and the lungs cost pennies.  Our cat certainly supplemented his diet with mice too.

Guess most of offal goes into tinned cat food nowadays.

Borlotti:
He loved his saver fish from Morrisons last night, and to say thank you he brought a mouse in at midnight.  Spent the day searching for dead bits, but nothing so far.  Hopefully he took it out the cat flap, nothing behind the fridge/freezer.  He had it is his mouth and was just playing with it, so even it got away it would not have survived long.  Definately going to cook for him, as so many addictives in the cat food, but maybe they need them, I really don't know.

Silverleaf:
I think I remember reading that cats need taurine, but that's found in meat and fish anyway (especially things like heart).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version