General > Pets Corner

Feeding cats

<< < (3/3)

Borlotti:
I cooked him kidneys tonight, just lightly fried them and chopped them up.  He is not asking for food so often, maybe the hot weather, but finding it quite easy and cheaper than the sachets.  He is having a lovely after dinner sleep in the outhouse.

antipodes:
Our cat has processed food (tins and biscuits) but she does love real meat. I get pet food offcuts from the butcher and chop them into little portions and freeze them. She wolfs them down.  My mother in law always makes her own cat's food, mixing cooked  meat and fish with rice and a few veg. Know cats are carnivores but hers have lived to ripe ages and no health issues...

I have a very good book on cat behaviour. it says in there that cats don't 'play' with their prey - as in the wild they can catch rodents that may bite and harm them, such as rats, they have the instinct to first whack the rodent around to stun it so they don't get bitten. Our domestic cats have the instinct but perhaps their skills are not so good and when they hold down their prey it looks as if they are toying with it, when in fact they are merely subduing it before the kill for their own safety. I agree that it is cruel, but they are predators and nature is not kind. Once they decide to kill, it is very quick.

Golach:
My cats are fed mostly on tinned food, my older cats on sachets.  They have a distinct preference for the "cheaper" brands and love Aldi's cat food.  My oldest cat lived to be 23 and my two current oldest are two sisters, now aged 17 and still going strong.  One has all her own teeth but her sister has none (probably a lot to do with genetics rather than the cat food).

One of my cats is a prolific hunter and is always bringing in mice, sometimes live, sometimes dead.  Usually he eats them but sometimes leaves them for me to find (thank you Sparky).

None of my cats are fat but do have nice, shiny coats.

Poppy Mole:
My two always have a dish of dried food out which they graze on during the day, in the evenings they have half a sachet of Whiskas each (the posher stuff!) I have tried them with home cooked & raw chicken livers & they just turn their noses up at it & refuse to eat it. They are good hunters & will have a mouse nearly every day - I hate to think how many would be running round if they didn't!! Sadly a few birds are also on the menu, the only trophies I get are the little shrews which they kill but don't eat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version