Author Topic: Parsnips  (Read 4858 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Parsnips
« on: March 18, 2005, 22:29:50 »
On the official radio 2 allotment today, the welsh chap, who's name of course I cannot for the life of me remember, said he would be out planting his parsnips today.  I shall have to get a move on then and get mine in next week!

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 13:34:46 »
Much too early for me.
I know February is the traditional month for sowing parsnips, but even in March the weather is not warm enough for me and I think now of late April.
Last year I was sowing parsnips 13 May !!! They germinated rather fast (soil was warm)  and I had a lot and still have one row. :P
No rush for me to put parsnips in ( or anything else). Patience ;D   

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 13:58:21 »
Mine were sown yesteday under the hoop and plastic cloche jobs. But my soil is light and very free draining.

Stephan

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 17:13:24 »
Funny you should say that EJ.  I heard him (Lottie Guy) too talking about his parsnips.  So it has spurred me on and I was over at the plot today to prepare the bed for mine.
Dug it over and mixed some "blood fish and bone" into the soil and then have covered it with fleece to warm  it up. 

Had good success last year using the tube method where you place some cut-off plastic pipe into some well drained soil, about 6-8 inches apart.  I planted two seeds inside the circle and thinned out the frailer seed when it came up.  Like you have mentioned before EJ I also planted some radishes in a line between the pipe  and scattered a thin layer of vermiculate in the seed line so I knew  they weren't weeds.  It really worked a treat so doing the same this year.  Think I will judge by the condition of my soil when to plant.  Would like it to be a bit dryer. busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 17:28:26 »
The welsh allotment bloke is called Terry  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 18:21:49 »
Clever Wardy!  ;)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 19:28:40 »
Hope I have better 'parsnip luck' this year. My 'snips must have hit a stone at each millimetre of their growth - so they came out looking like a helter skelter slide !!! ;D

No use to man nor beast...

This year, I shall mostly be trying the:-

" crow bar to make a decent hole then  fill with compost and sow your seed method"

Wish me luck, cos I love 'em.

Debs ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 21:22:02 »
I've never grown parsnips so want to try this year. Are they like carrots in the sense that you should not freshly manure the bed. And do they need protection with fleece/enviromesh against any nasties.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 21:30:59 »
Debs :)

My First time.............Used Toilet Rolls Holders

Placed Compost 50/50 Mix with Builders sand

Lined a propagator About 2/3 Inches Over the Bottem

Filled The rolls about 1 inch from the top

Placed two seeds in Each Carton and covered to the Top

Placed the propagator on the Kitchen Table by the Radiator

Now here its still too wet and cold to plant out Like Lady Cosmos said Maybe for us its April May time.

Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 21:40:13 »
i sow in the ground like carrots, slower to germinate but don't get the nasties.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 10:52:14 »
Hallo Tulip-23, it is still cold and wet here. Don't forget, we are in the Bollensteek at the same longitude as Birmingham, about 52.9 is Leiden, B. is 52.30. is only 20 miles different.  >:(
I always think we are much more to the south.......  :'(
And we are very close to the sea, keeps it cold for longer in spring (because the sea is very cold), but keep it warmer for a while in autumn, sea gives warmth.
No potatoes or parsnips for me in the ground, I wait another 2 or 3 weeks.
Only my cold frames are full with spinach, lettuce, patisson, cucumber and melons etc... :P

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 11:28:21 »
Im in no rush myself will wait a little longer for

an improvement in the Weather..........still waiting for the Mail Order Pots and shallots and Fuchias....hope this week.
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 19:46:35 »
Crowbar method for me, I like the simplicity of it

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 11:19:54 »
Sowed mine yesterday under a cloche (recycled fluorescent light cover) with some early carrots. Also dug several pounds of last years out, had some for supper and some into soup -that took care of the 3 big ones) The weird and wonderfull looking types are in a bag out the back. Still got most of a row of salsify to get through as well -more soup ::)

Jeremy.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 22:48:12 »
Sowed a row today.  Our last one, dug for sunday lunch, was super.  Sugar sweet, firm but not fibrous or woody.  Roasted a treat and the lot was scoffed.  Am going to try and squeeze a second row in a little later in the spring, if I can find the room!  I have 4 salsify's left Jeremy but to be honest, don't know the best way to use them.  Have been digging them up and bunging them in stews and casseroles.  How do you eat them (apart from off the end of a fork!)??

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 17:34:07 »
Are they very different from shop parsnips?  (I don't like them but like all other root veg).  Aslo what do you do with salsify and is it the saema s scrozonerozerous (I think that's it's name)
Bags
Get with the beat Baggy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 18:19:41 »
Home grown, well mine, are tender, sugar sweet and fleshy, not fibrous and woody.  Mum doesn't like them but wouldn't cook a stew without them!

I believe salsify and scorzenorozssiaozz are similar - I did both last year and they both did well.....believe people liken the flavour to asparagus.  You can steam them and serve with a sauce or butter, or me, as I didn't know what to do, made a wonderful chunky roots 'n shoots vegetable soup.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 18:39:15 »
Derbex    Ta for the tip about fluorescent light covers!  My OH always seems to have some in the car for taking or fetching from somewhere.  I think I'll liberate a few.  It never crossed my mind to use them.  I shall see them in a whole new light if you get me drift  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 20:56:04 »
Salsify taste even better than parsnips ;D
Salsify has light skin and scorzonera has dark skin

Simple boiling is nice but
with curry sauce even better:
Salsify and parsnips and potatoes peeled, sliced in water and some lemon juice ( keeping nice colour), clean water, boil till tender, about 10 min.
- melt butter, stirr some flour, milk, make sauce
stir currypowder, salt and peper for 2 more minutes and over the salsify OR
Soup: peel, slice, boil for 10 min. add milk, salt and pepper. OR
Peel, slice 1,5cm, in lemon and water. Melt butter, put  "dutch biscuits"crumbs" over salsify and fry :P

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 21:22:40 »
buzzie lizzie, do you mean drain pipe type pipe , I can't imagine exactly what you mean...I planted my parsnips last Friday but I'm sure they'll fork so I want to try a different method with the second sowing, and I have never grown them before as I am new to this lottie lark

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal