Author Topic: Why don't some companies print packaging dates on their seed packets?  (Read 1478 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Looking at some of my seed packets today after some disappointing germinations I notice that Thompson & Morgan give no information on their packets on when their seed was packeted. I know that when it expires depends on the type of seed, storage conditions etc. but when one buys it from a garden centre one doesn't know how long they have had it in stock. If you have a package date at least you know that bit of information.
Are T&M trying to hide something? What other companies do people know of that don't give any dates?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Looking at some of my seed packets today after some disappointing germinations I notice that Thompson & Morgan give no information on their packets on when their seed was packeted. I know that when it expires depends on the type of seed, storage conditions etc. but when one buys it from a garden centre one doesn't know how long they have had it in stock. If you have a package date at least you know that bit of information.
Are T&M trying to hide something? What other companies do people know of that don't give any dates?

George,

All companies only package what they need.  Nobody can afford to warehouse huge stocks of packets of anything that doesn't get sold quickly.  Which means that the date of packaging is pretty meaningless.  Prior to packaging, the seeds have been in storage, presumably cold storage, for a length of time.  That hardly any seed company will tell you when the seed was harvested is far more significant than that T and M won't tell you when their seeds were packaged.  Just my tuppence worth.

I love seed packets from swaps and from home seed savers.  With a date when the seed was harvested, usually just the year of harvest.  And most of us can work out from that how long the seed will last.   With commercial seeds you can never be sure how old the seed actually is.  All that is required is a decent rate of germination at packaging time.  Which often is not the same as a decent rate of germination when the seeds finally meet the soil, unfortunately.

Don't worry over a lack of packaging date, it is pretty meaningless anyway.

markfield rover

• Hectare
Do you remember a few years back a chap came here asking if anyone had a certain companies seed packets from a particular year, as he suspected they were re packing old seed and sending it abroad? I know we sent him packets but do not think we heard back. That's why I like Real Seeds as they do not print a catalogue until they have harvested the seed .

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
I don't mind old seed provided it's been properly stored, in a freezer. The problem with bought seed is often that it hasn't been stored right. I have a little Meconopsis seed, which is about as delicate and short-lived as seed comes,  which has been frozen for several years. I planted some this year, and it germinated. The rate wasn't brilliant, but I got half a dozen seedlings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal