Author Topic: just had my 5 a day  (Read 2974 times)

ACE

• Hectare
just had my 5 a day
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:44:03 »
In the shower, apple and celery shampoo, coconut conditioner and lemon and lime shower gel.
Feel better already.

Stupid smells seem to be in everything. I have just got the fresh undercrackers out of the drawer only to noticed she has got at them with the Lenor. Diamonds and lotus flower. What do diamonds smell of? if it's the family jewels, they can keep it.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: just had my 5 a day
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:52:54 »
Yeah it's getting difficult to find products that actually smell pleasant these days especially in fabric conditioners.

I have expensive taste in smellies, love Moulton Brown 'templetree 'shower gel but its an occasional treat these days...the old man likes the gingseng one of theirs, but I think that's because he thinks it has an invigorating effect or somesuch!

I like my washing to smell ....well, clean, is that too much to ask?! I use the comfort sensitive white gunk, that is the least offensive smell to me, it just smells like cotton sheets  so I stick to that. Some of the fruity/floral ones are just repulsive!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:24:34 »
So agree with you! The most bizarre combinations, pomegranate and argan oil, Madagascar vanilla and peach stone essence, I never know if you are meant to wash with it or eat it! And yes some smell quite vile. It's just soap for god's sake!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:37:46 »
I  had one called Eastern Promise. Not clear what the East was promising.  I don't think it happened.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 15:17:53 »
I hate the strong smells of detergents...I use Surcare no perfume or Fairy which is inoffensive. some of the fabric conditioners repeat scent when the fabric is rubbed..I find it nauseating!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 17:52:44 »
My shampoo smells of bicarb and my conditioner of cider vinegar, because that's what they're made of! (The vinegar smell goes away as the hair dries.)

I usually can't stand artificial smells so I also get unscented soap and have to sniff every single bottle of hand wash and every deodorant before I choose one - even then I have to get a second different smell before the first one's finished because I get tired of it and begin to hate it. I'm okay if I rotate them frequently enough.

I also use vinegar as a fabric conditioner. No cloying sickly scented clothes for me!

My ex-boyfriend's mother was a fan of those horrible plug-in air fresheners which she'd turn up to max in her tiny house. It used to choke me and made me feel sick, and I'd turn them all off when she wasn't looking. ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 20:31:33 »
So I have a choice then, smell like the greengrocers dustbin  or a fish and chip shop. i can't seem to find a bar of coal tar soap nowadays so I will have to nip out to the shed and mix up some wd40 and creosote, that should do the trick.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 22:23:42 »
You do get used to the vinegar, and it doesn't smell at all when dry. I used to put a few drops of essential oils in there when I first started, but I don't bother now.

There's no way I'd go back to shampoo now.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 06:07:55 »
My mother always put vinegar in the last hair wash rinse because she believed it kept the nits away.  She did not smell like a fish and chip shop. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 07:47:34 »
I remember the vinegar thing! and also for greasy hair (may be that was to do with fish and chips!)

I use Oliva soap- doesn't make you smell of olive oil!!

"Faith in nature" shampoo and conditioner- slight but natural smells

Homemade moisturiser with lavender/ tea tree and calendula.

I try to buy as little as possible and then not things tested on animals. There are plenty of good quality alternatives now easily available.
At work they are using the Handwashes in all novelty smells at the moment -UGH and the more smells the more testing will be done.

Ok ...off the soap box now.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:32 »
Coconut oil for me! My dermatitis seems to like it anyway - when my skin's bad I add lavender, tea tree and peppermint oil to it.

I decided a few years back to simplify things and reduce the amount of dodgy chemicals I used. It's so much cheaper, better for the environment, and actually quicker!

Before: shampoo, conditioner, anti-frizz spray, mousse, shine spray, occasional leave-in conditioner, occasional heat-styling serum, shower gel, fancy moisturiser, facial cleanser, toner.

Now: bicarb, cider vinegar, coconut oil, homemade hair gel made from boiling linseeds, unscented soap, occasional henna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal