Author Topic: Woodlice in peppers  (Read 2493 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Woodlice in peppers
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:00:42 »
Last year I grew some sweet peppers in the greenhouse and had a very heavy crop -
but many of the fruit had been attacked by woodlice.  Yuk!

Is there anything I can do to prevent it this year? The peppers are being grown in
a border inside the greenhouse.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Woodlice in peppers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:47:10 »
I've found some inside my peppers too..but I don't find they have been the culprits for the entrance in first place.
Usually there has been a soft spot (rot, mould etc)/damage and they find they way inside that way. Slugs and snails are the usual ones that make 'doors' for woodlice entry.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17:26 »
I've found some inside my peppers too..but I don't find they have been the culprits for the entrance in first place.
Usually there has been a soft spot (rot, mould etc)/damage and they find they way inside that way. Slugs and snails are the usual ones that make 'doors' for woodlice entry.

I was wondering if they had been helped by slugs or snails too. 

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 21:55:18 »
I always find woodlice attacking my figs. They are supposed to be benign and harmless creatures, but anything they can climb up to and get into, they will nibble away and leave their frass. Maybe other creatures wound the fruit first, but the woodlice swiftly increase the damage.

On the other hand, I am glad to see them in my compost bins, working away.

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 23:42:52 »
Woodlice are mainly detrivores, so as goodlife says, unlikely to be the guilty party but more likely just having an opportunistic snack that comes with its own shelter. A nice, but slightly rambling, article on them here: http://www.earthlife.net/insects/isopoda.html Wonderful creatures.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal