Author Topic: Bait Hive Construction  (Read 4838 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Bait Hive Construction
« on: May 13, 2014, 19:49:41 »
With lots of swarms around at the moment, I was wondering about trying to bait some, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice. Would anybody who has success in this area like to offer an opinion on the construction and siting of a bait hive. Thanks, in anticipation.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bait Hive Construction
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 19:58:15 »
As a construction... just a normal hive will be perfect though can be bit big and clumsy for certain situations.
I have in past used nucleus or traveling box for the job...with some drawn frames to offer instant accommodation.. :icon_cheers:
In the area where I have seen swarms..I place couple of these boxes on top of a shed roof...higher the better is more of their liking.
You can buy swarm lure from beekeeping suppliers..but I haven't found it that necessary. Where there is swarm seen flying about and being on look out of new 'place'.. unoccupied  hive or nuc is usually all that is needed to get them in.
Sometimes if you add one frame with new wax sheet on it is good lure..in warm sunny day it will give nice smell out that bees will notice and they will come to inspect the scent.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 21:48:22 »
Thanks Goodlife. Lots of people suggest adding old comb to the box, so interested to see you mention new foundation.
Part of the interest in this at the moment, though I have been considering it for the past month, is that a swarm has settled in an oak tree alongside our allotments. It looks to be 14 to 18 inches top to bottom and 6 to 8 across at the widest point, but its possibly 40 foot up in the air so impossible to reach. We have an empty hive and a nuc box positioned on the shed roof, but so far no movement. The swarm has been there since at least Saturday, but the weather looks better tomorrow so I guess it will move then, one way or the other. Would be nice if there was something extra we could do to draw them in.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 22:27:50 »
Well, I spent half an hour this morning watching bees checking out the empty hive while I'd stopped for a drink and got excited by the possibility that tenants may be moving in.  At midday the swarm took up and flew away. Still time for some success if there are any more suggestions.

Pigletwillie

• Quarter Acre
    • Hilltop Adventures Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 23:15:36 »
I just use a nuc with some old brood frames in. Swarms like the smell of bees.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 15:03:56 »
Anything with old broodcomb in it is a magnet to them.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 17:42:35 »
Thanks Goodlife. Lots of people suggest adding old comb to the box, so interested to see you mention new foundation.
Part of the interest in this at the moment, though I have been considering it for the past month, is that a swarm has settled in an oak tree alongside our allotments. It looks to be 14 to 18 inches top to bottom and 6 to 8 across at the widest point, but its possibly 40 foot up in the air so impossible to reach. We have an empty hive and a nuc box positioned on the shed roof, but so far no movement. The swarm has been there since at least Saturday, but the weather looks better tomorrow so I guess it will move then, one way or the other. Would be nice if there was something extra we could do to draw them in.

I generally do use drawn comb but also add one with new sheet...just for the smell. If you have swarm hanging around...and if they are checking the bait hive out...you could add  small piece of fondant under the roof ...just to lure them with idea of accommodation with free snap :icon_cheers: BUT..don't leave the fondant there for long to be robbed by other bees and to be taken into hives..or if you can spare one frame with some stores already in, even better!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 22:34:41 »
I spotted a few scout bees around an empty hive this afternoon. Let's hope there's a swarm on the way!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 20:40:15 »
I've had three swarms this month, two in the last week. I had spare equipment set up to attract them, with old comb, and upper entrances provided the minute I spotted scout bees sniffing around. They always go in the top rather than the bottom, and I'm convinced I get more swarms when there's an upper entrance available. I'm making a video which I'll post once the swarm season is out of the way. I'm still seeing scout bees around, so you never know, there could be a fourth on the way.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 22:01:51 »
I shall look forward to the video Robert. Collected a swarm from a hedge the other week, but no success with bait hives. No spare equipment left now due to splitting colonies as swarm control. Unfortunately, only two hives allowed on my plot. Also one in the back garden at home. Three is probably plenty for me.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 13:58:04 »
I just got another swarm yesterday, admittedly off another beekeeper this time. There's every chance of more to come!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal