Author Topic: Rats and sheds  (Read 3289 times)

singingrhubarb

• Not So New ...
Rats and sheds
« on: May 11, 2014, 13:05:14 »
Partly because of badly kept chicken food, we have a huge rat problem on our self managed site. The warden, who is very keen, (inspects the site every week) now wants to inspect everybody's shed.  I don't think this will go down well with a lot of plot holders.   Can he insist? 

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Rats and sheds
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 13:13:52 »
He can insist but I doubt he as any legal standing for doing so. What is in you shed is your business. There would be plenty of evidence to see from outside of the shed if rats would have moved in.

What is he after anyway..?
And who checks warden's shed? :tongue3:

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 13:50:39 »
I would thought it good house keeping and neighbourly to eradicate the vermin from the site, if it means having someone look in your sheds to assess the extent of the problem and manage the situation, so be it. If you have nothing illegal in your sheds whats the problem. Rats are malignant, they bring sickness and injury stock and humans alike.

If I was asked, it would not be an issue.

Digmore.  :wave:

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 18:04:59 »
I am with digmore on this one.  I would be mortified if a rat were found but would accept any help with open arms.

Bill

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 19:43:48 »
Likewise, anybody is free to look in my shed, which is never locked, but I can't help wondering what your warden expects to find in the sheds, and what he then plans to do about it. I can't imagine a rat living in a shed, unless it is stacked full of clutter. If you use your shed regularly, no rat would be interested. They are very likely to visit though and will return if you are leaving out food for them. If chicken pellets are the attraction they can easily be stored in rat-proof containers, but is your warden really going to police how you store your chicken pellets?
The rats on our site mostly live in the piles of rubbish some people like to build at the end of their plots or on disused allotments. We cleared two skip fulls of rubbish from one unused plot and found five or six old rats nests. There is rubbish piled to chest height on the plot next to me, near where I keep my hens, and rats occasionally visit from there, but have never raided the pellets in the shed. Its just not in my interest to be feeding rats rather than hens, so the pellets are stored securely. The best feeding for rats on our site comes from bird feeders people put up for wild birds. The cheap food has lots of wheat in it which the small birds don't eat and they just throw it on the ground where the rats come along and feast. What exactly is the extent of your "huge rat problem"?

singingrhubarb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:39:26 »
Thanks very much for your comments. Maybe plot holders won't mind though it seems a bit like peering into a woman's handbag. I think it will depend on how they are approached.
Ours is a long site, Winecap, I haven't actually seen rats at my end and the problem seems to be at the other end. Apparently  the rats have been seen sauntering  about in daylight. They were big ones. The committee  burned out one plot because it was so infested. It's true what you wrote about the bird feeders.
The warden also wants to check on" hazardous materials" in sheds, Goodlife.  There is a form to  fill in about  keeping paraffin or gas in the shed but people aren't using it. I can see it's important for this to be on record in case of incident.   A shed was inadvertently blown up a few years ago.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:06:50 »
Thanks very much for your comments. Maybe plot holders won't mind though it seems a bit like peering into a woman's handbag. I think it will depend on how they are approached.
Ours is a long site, Winecap, I haven't actually seen rats at my end and the problem seems to be at the other end. Apparently  the rats have been seen sauntering  about in daylight. They were big ones. The committee  burned out one plot because it was so infested. It's true what you wrote about the bird feeders.
The warden also wants to check on" hazardous materials" in sheds, Goodlife.  There is a form to  fill in about  keeping paraffin or gas in the shed but people aren't using it. I can see it's important for this to be on record in case of incident.   A shed was inadvertently blown up a few years ago.

AH...now that you've explained the situation more...if that is what you are supposed to do with flammables and if its not adhered to..

If your rat problems is that serious that plots need to be burned..huh...that is serious indeed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal