Author Topic: Beetroot  (Read 4216 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Beetroot
« on: June 03, 2014, 16:45:01 »
I thought I might try my hand at beetroot this year (I know that I am LITTLE late)...but..... do I sow directly into the ground or use small plant pots and transplant once they are large enough?
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 17:19:16 »
Transplanting is more useful for the earliest crops. No problem with sowing direct now, and it's not really late; I'll probably do two more sowings this year.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 17:21:58 »
I don't think it's too late either I sow some direct and some in module pots so I can fill in what's missing due to slugs and snails.
Nora
Norf London

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 19:38:06 »
The beetroot I sowed in modules has been incredibly slow to grow. Is that normal?And at what size do you plant it out?

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 19:47:09 »
I shall try both ways and compare my results...I just need to clear some space in the front garden tomorrow...(weather permitting of course!)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 21:30:44 »
I have always direct sowed with brilliant results.  But for reasons unknown, this year I sowed a full pack of boltardy 2 months ago and nothing has come up so will be sowing a pack of Pablo later this week.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 22:08:43 »
Hmm; I purchased a packet of Boltardy (Kings seeds) yesterday, and was reassured they were very reliable!  Am I just a sucker for a good salesman technique, I didn't fancy the cylindrical/long shaped beets.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 23:05:30 »
Last year I followed my garlic with beetroot and had a great late crop..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:17:30 »
The beetroot I sowed in modules has been incredibly slow to grow. Is that normal?And at what size do you plant it out?

I find module ones grow on as quick or quicker than those in the ground, flea beetle can be a problem here so growing in modules avoids that. I plant out when still fairly small but the roots have filled the modules. They then have a head start against any germinating weed seeds which for me makes it easier to weed.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 07:20:38 »
Hmm; I purchased a packet of Boltardy (Kings seeds) yesterday, and was reassured they were very reliable!  Am I just a sucker for a good salesman technique, I didn't fancy the cylindrical/long shaped beets.

Boltardy are a good variety, easy to grow and have nice tasty beets. I'm with the others not to late to sow at all  :happy7:
Lol, well on your way to seed addiction!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 07:57:47 »
I always plant in modules and plant out when established - but then I mostly do that with everything.
I also prefer the cylindrical varieties - Alto in particular.  I find they cook more evenly and quickly and they taste great as well.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:39:20 »
It doesn't have to be the seeds at fault if you don't see results - seedlings can be nibbled as they come up.

I have almost zero success with beetroot in my allotment - so it can't be the seeds themselves. They suffer badly from slug/snail damage and any survivors they tend to sit there and never develop roots or even large leaves. Every now and then a few of them grow small beetroots, but I can't see any pattern to it!

I see other plots with big waving leaves and bulging roots - and the people don't even eat them, they just leave them there all winter and chuck them on the compost heap ggrrrr!

I'm going to try the modules approach - thanks for the tip!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:59:53 »
I sow a last sowing when the onions come out, so there is plenty of time yet.  At that stage they do not get very big but I like them golf ball sized.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 22:04:36 »

I find module ones grow on as quick or quicker than those in the ground, flea beetle can be a problem here so growing in modules avoids that. I plant out when still fairly small but the roots have filled the modules. They then have a head start against any germinating weed seeds which for me makes it easier to weed.
What size module do you use, please?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 23:09:02 »
I use both 40 and 24 module trays... they both work well.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 07:54:58 »
I use root trainers for beetroot rather than module trays..  Very handy things and they do last if you look after them.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal