Author Topic: Chickens Run  (Read 2092 times)

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
Chickens Run
« on: April 30, 2014, 16:32:04 »
What do you recomend to dry a very sodden chicken run - Sand - Hay or Sawdust . my run has not been completly dry since last october , at the moment i can push a bean pole down 5ft without applying to much pressure , thats how bad it is . luckily i have plenty of perches in the run to keep them out of the mud.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Chickens Run
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 17:59:29 »
Is the wetness because drainage issues? Is there any sort of cover or could you add even just partial rain cover? We have couple of sheets of clear corrugated plastic over the run to give girls dry'ish corner to escape the worst of the weather and still be outside rather than being stuck in shed all day long.
I put absolutely all sorts into our girls run...annual weeds, chopped straw, woodchippings, sand etc...and the girls have great time mixing it all together. Once the 'bedding' material level gets too high for the run (starts spilling over into garden after 8")..it gets emptied and wheeled into allotment and spread straight on beds or piled on somewhere to be used later on.
And then the fun start again...piling up the stuff...day by day, week by week... :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal