Author Topic: Rustic Soup  (Read 4400 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Rustic Soup
« on: December 27, 2013, 23:01:45 »
OKOK....the last pound of Turkey and Ham got the soup treatment today
so along with leftover veggies ...and yes it did have some sprouts in too.

lets get the Christmas scene picture out of the way and concentrate on
the hot grub.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb Turkey meat shreaded
1/2 lb Ham meat Shreaded
2 Celery Sticks chopped fine
1 medium Onion chopped fine
4 medium carrots chopped small
dozen sprouts chopped small
1 leek chopped fine
2 cloves garlic sliced fine
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin Borlotti beans drained
Jar Pesto = 1 tbsp.
Chicken stock= 2 pints
Handful fresh parsley chopped fine
1 Bay leaf
splash of Wurze or Worcestershire sauce
Sharwoods Medium soft Noodles chopped small
Olive Oil
salt & pepper

Ok lets shread the meat.............

Soften the Onion, Celery,Sprouts,Carrots,Garlic,Bay leaf in some oil.....for 5 mins on a medium heat.

Stir in the tomatoes,Borlotti Beans,and stock then simmer the pan for about 20 mins till the carrots are just tender.

I like to add a few shakes of Wurze its a condiment that livens up soups and stews although Worcestershire sauce is fine...the herb flavour is
1 tbsp. of Basil Pesto plus some seasoning.

Remove the Bayleaf..................

If you enjoy a Thick soup, at this stage I take half the contents of the pan
and blitz it in a liquidizer and return it to the pan.

I don't know about you but Sharwoods medium Noodles chopped into small pieces are great for bulking out soups to go that bit further when theres more mouths to feed.....plus the cold shreaded meats.
Add them,give it a good stir  and replace the pan lid for a further 5 mins.

season to taste.................

Serve in a large bowl with some chopped parsley,and tuck on in.

Enjoy

Gazza

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Rustic Soup
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:57:20 »
Lovely grub again, thanks Gazza.  We are on our last few bits of turkey here too.  Although it is almost worth getting a extra bird in the sale for your post Crimbo recipes  :wave:

Just wanted to say, if you don't have Maggi  Wuerze in your cupboards, use chopped lovage.  Lovage is called 'Maggi-Kraut' - Maggi herb - in German speaking countries.  It is worth chopping lovage leaves in spring and summer and freezing portions in an ice cube tray.  A little goes a long way, but it adds that special extra flavour.

patchworkperson

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:05:05 »
Yummy!
Geri
Milton Keynes, Bucks

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 08:34:11 »
Looks scrummy  :toothy10:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:25 »
Thankyou for reminding me of what I didn't have to put in the pot Galina.....boo hisss,I grew Lovage on the plot and always used it chopped fresh in soups....to my palate it has a deffinate celery taste....ish....in fact this recipe would have been ideal for it....not only from a taste factor but from a remedy point of view as its brilliant for reducing flatulence....if you know what I mean.

Jude and myself both have iffy tummis from time to time and the youngest leaves are great stewed in a cup of hot water as a Tea.....and believe me it does work....although ive tried it with older leaves and its oh so bitter.

When we move its going back in the garden as your "freezing idea" would be great with fresh young picked leaves.

One of its best traits is as a skin softener,ive had Psoriasis for 20 years and use the old leaves in a bowl of warm water
and it does take the flaming from my knuckles when there at there worst in winter.....that's said,my GP just laughs and gives me
a bluudy great tube of Dovobet ointment.....and says use this....so I guess a disbeliever.

Appreciate the comment....x :toothy10:

Gazza.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 14:30:50 »
Garza, I'm moving Lovage at present...do you want a bit?
Jackie

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 21:13:36 »
That's very thoughtful,ive got Lovage gone in last week in the Greenhouse so as it hasn't sprouted yet I may as well take advantage of
your kind offer.

Let me know what you need money wise for packaging and postage and Ill forward a PO to you.

Cheers

Gazza

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 00:47:04 »
Gazza - great minds think alike!  I made a very similar soup today without seeing your post and would like to share it ... it was amazingly light - perfect for spring sunshine but at the same time wholesome and rustic!

It was based around a bought cooked ham hock ... we had eaten most of the ham from the hock - but saved the jelly and bones to make a simple stock from.  It yielded about 3 litres of stock.

The stock was cooked up in the pressure cooker for about half and hour with 3 handfuls of split peas, a chopped onion, a chopped carrot, a handful of chopped chives, one chopped stem of lovage with leaves on and 3 generous sprigs of chopped mint.

When the pressure cooker had cooled down - I brought it back to the boil and added a mug full of frozen peas and a twist of black pepper along with the remnants of ham hock meat chopped up.

I have never seen my kids lap up a soup in the way they devoured this one!  It was absolutely delicious!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 19:14:00 »
Always pleasing when the fam tuck on in to your food isn't it..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes mine was December 28th,with Crimbos leftovers but no reason why a so called "Rustic" soup/stew doesn't hit the spot
when the folks gather for a good feed..!!!!!!!!!!!   :icon_cheers:

Gazza

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:56 »
We could have eaten this yesterday as the temperature has suddenly dropped and it's freezing!! So much for spring!
I am doing a chicken casserole tonight, think i will use the carcasse to make some nice chicken soup! Actually I find that some kind of pulse always makes better soup. I think I am out of split peas but I will put in a handful of those split red lentils, which give a nice texture to soup and bulk it up.
Soup is one of man's best inventions I think!!!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 16:53:18 »
Oh that sounds delish,its been hissin with rain and thunder and lightning here all day,my bit of ground that im using for growing in is deluged with rain water so gord knows if the Garlics and Onions survive water up to their necks......

.......yes,agree big style always find chicken on the bone in stews or curries tastes so much better,ok you've got to fiddle a bit when eatng  but the deeper flavours get my vote every time......and soups made from the carcass is a must have for flavour too... :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal