Author Topic: Compost Amount  (Read 2370 times)

MattBristol

Compost Amount
« on: April 02, 2014, 22:12:35 »
Quick question for you...

I've got a plot this year and it's fairly clay-like soil. I bought some compost from B&Q (125litres for £6) but it didn't go very far at all.

So my question is, how thick should compost be spread?  A light dusting or a thick layer?

I know manure is probably the best way to go but I need to find out where to get it, get it, spread it, hope it's rotted enough etc etc...

cheers!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Compost Amount
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 22:26:02 »
Blimey - you cant use that type to do a whole plot - they are for potting up and sowing seeds!!

Find a supply of manure from a local farm or stables.

p.s. I seem to recall someone asked exactly the same question a few weeks back??
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

MattBristol

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 22:32:45 »
Sorry I should have had a better search first, thanks for replying though.

The problem with manure is getting it from stables to my plot! I've seen some places that deliver though, Small load - 2 tons £30, Normal load - 4 ton £35, Jumbo or double load - 8 ton £50.

Any idea how much is enough for a 150sqm plot?

cheers

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 22:48:29 »
We have just decided not to accept 6.5 cubic metres of loose manure for £180. But a local source has delivered and barrowed down to our site 40 bags at 50p per bag (the sort of bag you can just about carry in one hand if you are old).

Contact your local vet, who is likely to know which horse owners want to get rid of their manure piles.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 22:49:18 »
If they can deliver right to your plot then I would go with the big load - it never ceases to amaze me how the organic matter just gets eaten up by the soil ... but for nearly every crop it is a massive bonus to have it in there ... especially on clay.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 23:06:16 »
Just found this
>http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/fruit-vegetable/using-manure-and-compost/
Good  bed-time reading, no pun intended!
Other possible (free?) sources  of compostable material,try your local micro-brewery for spent hops and any retailer for brown cardboard boxes, together with green waste and household waste from friends,relatives and neighbours (often distinct seperate groups!) Vegetable trimmings from caterers and market traders,  bedding from pet rabbits and poultry, tea bags from staff canteens....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:17:36 »
Sorry I should have had a better search first, thanks for replying though.

The problem with manure is getting it from stables to my plot! I've seen some places that deliver though, Small load - 2 tons £30, Normal load - 4 ton £35, Jumbo or double load - 8 ton £50.

Any idea how much is enough for a 150sqm plot?

cheers

Matt its never too much so go for what you can afford. Just pile it on and dig it in.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 19:20:50 »
Matt,

I agree with Gavin, I would have thought it a bit late in the season for scattering manure, may burn seedlings if its a bit fresh. I suppose you could double dig it but its hard work again late in the season.

I am shocked at the prices being quoted, we pay £25-£30 for 10 ton delivered either cow or horse manure.

If your starting up on the plot, leave it till the autumn and rough dig and then spread a manure mulch about 6ins deep and then allow the winter to do its job. Then spring dig and turn in whats left.

Digmore.  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal