Author Topic: We have AGM this morning....  (Read 7898 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
We have AGM this morning....
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:59:46 »
...and before I attend to it....I thought I pop in here and say few words...
Its been loooooooong week and full of planning, rehearsals, meetings, gossip etc..all that just to make sure odd few people from whole allotment site won't be able to get better of us in the meeting....why some have to get their 'kicks' from making others life so difficult...ALLOTMENTS are supposed to be a HOBBY and LEASURE activity..not bloody battle ground to make oneself feeling important... :BangHead:..they must have otherwise boring  lives...
 :coffee2: is front of me as I type..and head full of thoughts (well, nothing new there..)..to start with, if I would not make it, what ever my OH doesn't need from seed boxes for his use..GrannyJanet is going to inherit and I've left her instructions to share some of them amongst you over here.. :angel11:
Over the years I met personally and on line so many kind, amazing, clever and interesting A4all members..we have definitely more great people here than those 'not so nice' sort :icon_cheers:
'Markfield'...seeds that you kindly sent for me have arrived..they did so yesterday but I only discovered the envelope this morning... :drunken_smilie:...and yours is posted too, hopefully they will do well for you... :icon_thumleft:
'Pumpkinlover'...your 'PARCEL' is posted too....
'Galina'...one of your 'pot holders' is going into my pocket...like a 'lucky favourite comfort planket'..not only I can squeeze it secrectly in my pocket when I feel like slapping somebody ..and if I loose control and should it come out..being made of cotton it will come handy for mopping up tears..blood etc.. :icon_joker:
'Chaps'.....
'Ladies'.....
Everybody!...

Basically...I hope to be back but if not, it has been nice to know you...... :wave:
right...I'm ready...

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: We have AGM this morning....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:02:43 »
Good luck we have ours next week

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:30 »
Go for it lass!!
 :icon_cheers:

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:16:52 »
Best of luck!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 08:55:16 »
There will always be those that use the AGM to air their grievances but hopefully common sense and reason will prevail !  As I mentioned on another thread being on an Allotment Committee is a very underrated job, you need the patience of a saint! I vividly remember the first AGM I went to as a newby, I spent most of the time with my mouth hanging open in shock......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:57 »
Courage! ..................  you'll be fine!  ........... Stay positive!  .....................  but a hug for you just in case .............

please tell us all about it later  :wave:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44:42 »
...and before I attend to it....I thought I pop in here and say few words...
Its been loooooooong week and full of planning, rehearsals, meetings, gossip etc..all that just to make sure odd few people from whole allotment site won't be able to get better of us in the meeting....why some have to get their 'kicks' from making others life so difficult...ALLOTMENTS are supposed to be a HOBBY and LEASURE activity..not bloody battle ground to make oneself feeling important...

It could have been me writing this!  Our AGM isn't till 13th April and I am
still going through (in my mind) what might happen at it.  I have considered
kidnapping the two trouble-makers. Shouldn't be too difficult, my husband is
from Sicily after all....... :tongue3:

Good luck Goodlife, please let us know how it went.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 14:01:54 »
I'm alive... :icon_cheers: :toothy10:

Well.. no matter how many AGMs I've gone through..it doesn't get any easier. Luckily my imagination of 'what might happen' is worst than the actual day turn out to be.
We did our home work and it make the difference...the one real a** that we were most bother about heard advance what decisions are about be proposed...and he spit the dummy out and didn't turn up.. :icon_cheers: ...and as he didn't turn up...that pulled the wind out of others sails.
We had good turn out..and very understanding members..although no names were mentioned as such, everybody knew who was behind our strong proposals. Some people wanted strong committee and strong one they have got now....and so it will be in future.
Somebody even dared to say us 'you could have done that as committee'...and we said...'oh no we can't....you vote the rules and with the 'rule book' in our hands we go and enforce it..committee is not here to make rules for you!!!!'
Oh..it is like bloody circus...and what makes it so is that many don't understand the concept of how association is supposed to work.....we don't rule it with tyranny. Thinking ahead for future troubles...which there is always something to deal with, we announced that 'NO PROBLEMS ARE TO BE SOLVED BY RUNNING FROM ONE COMMITTEE MEMBER TO OTHER'...we are tired of the all s*** stirring...but anybody having issues/problems, will have to put it in writing...sign it and they will be called to meeting where it is dealt with formally....even we have the 'badges', we too have right for some peace and quiet and enjoy our gardens.
When I didn't propose any changes to membership contributions..I think that was done deal with many and they went home happy having only parted with £6...peanuts for a full year's worth of fresh air... :icon_cheers:
All in all....it was good meeting...we got nice new 'blood' into our ranks, which is always welcome.  :icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 14:11:21 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 14:05:57 »
Oh..another one....bloody gates and locking... :BangHead:...subject that is brought up EVERY year.. :BangHead:
This year we kept that discussion short..saying "if you are only going to nip few yards away..or somebody else is coming behind you...don't lock it...common sense...BUT...if you are lacking common sense..lock the bloody thing regardless...as long as those expensive locks are used!!!  :icon_cheers:

Oh we already have so many 'new' things planned for our members...they'll be surprised the changes that happen this year...roll on next AGM...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 14:07:38 by goodlife »

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 19:42:05 »
Lol it is all echoes of here!

Onward and upward!

I'd like our site to pull together so we can achieve things .. Even if that is trying to get on a bit better.

Couple of weeks until ours.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 21:24:00 »
Nice to hear you are still ok and have not drowned in a waterbutt.   

Sounds as if you have turned things round and it was more positive. 

I do like the sound of putting moans in writing and being invited to a committee meeting to discuss it.  Hopefully no one will ever complain ever again.   I think it would be better to welcome positive suggestions for the benefit of all instead.  I suppose for those who cannot write (or will not write), if they moan you write it down and get them to sign it and then submit to the committee.

Now you deserve an nice cup of something.   :coffee2:

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:10 »
Like Digeroo says, that sounds positive. £6 a year!!
Glad you survived intact, it does amaze me that somepeople think they have the right to treat allotment committees like they do. Luckily they are in the minority.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:56 »
I'm glad you survived, I'm still dreading ours.

I hope our a*** doesn't turn up either, but I can't see that happening.

I put notices up, sent emails and snail-mails at least six weeks ago telling
everyone that questions must be put in writing.......I put a box, paper and
pens in the veranda with a notice saying when the deadline is....and has
anyone written a question?  Of course not.  Will anyone still ask questions
at the meeting?  What do you think?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:43 »
Code: [Select]
put notices up, sent emails and snail-mails at least six weeks ago telling
everyone that questions must be put in writing.......I put a box, paper and
pens in the veranda with a notice saying when the deadline is....and has
anyone written a question?  Of course not.  Will anyone still ask questions
at the meeting?  What do you think?

hmmmmm....yes, ton's of correspondence to go through...? :tongue3:

When we send invitations to AGM..we always try to highlight that ANY issues that will involve rule changing/voting MUST be put in writing...this year we had just ONE letter...but there was plenty of other suggestions and questions and 'issues' to talk about.. so we were not short of 'stuff'.
The 'best' thing that have already 'spawned' from the meeting is .....somebody is claiming that their letter haven't been read even he put one through secretary's letterbox....'personal attack' against him.... :BangHead: Now it is 'case' one's word against other... :BangHead: You literally cannot 'win'...they always find way of twisting their will around and there is nothing we can do..other than being honest and say how things are and what his options are..trying to be 'right' regardless their 'game' or way their brain works... :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: ....why oh why........ :BangHead:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:47:05 »
Not often, but sometimes I think it's a good thing I'm not on an allotment!
I'm glad it all went well G'life  :toothy10:

Hope your AGM is stressfree Squash  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:56 »
We had ours, went well, lasted an hour, changing our rent year from october next year So charging 6 months rent in april then a full year from october.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 13:31:22 »

Our AGM was this morning and even though I've been having sleepless
nights over what might happen if certain trouble-makers decided to come -
it went very well and was over in 20 minutes!  :blob7:

The two trouble-makers did not come and everyone else who did come
had no complaints to make.  In fact, we (the committee) even got a
vote of thanks at the end of the meeting.

We had asked for questions to be handed in in writing before the end of
March, but none were.  One person tried to ask a question but we just
said that the reason we wanted them in writing was so that we could
find out the answer in advance. He seemed happy enough with that.

I'm so glad it's over with.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 16:51:22 »
Brilliant Squash... :icon_cheers:...I bet you feel like big rock would have been shifted off your chest now.
All that worrying for weeks and for what....20 mins!... :BangHead:

Well..at least you have now 11 months and a bit of 'calm' before it all starts over again...

BTW...we looked through our old and original 'rule' book...there is 'rule no 49'..."Insane or Lunatic Member"..so if these 'trouble makers' wish to carry on with their acts...we will use rule 49... :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 18:06:58 »
20 minutes. :icon_cheers:  You certainly wasted a worry. 

The two trouble-makers did not come and everyone else who did come
had no complaints to make.  In fact, we (the committee) even got a
vote of thanks at the end of the meeting

This is how it should be.   I just cannot imagine with your site what there is to complain about though I presume you still have the shed issue looming.

pumkinlover

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 07:36:41 »
Our  turn today :glasses9:
Talk to you later (hopefully!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal