Author Topic: is it too late to plant rasberries?  (Read 4852 times)

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
is it too late to plant rasberries?
« on: March 17, 2005, 07:25:26 »
we have just been allocated the allotment next to our present site givng us a nice sized growing area ;D. our allotments are quite small compared those country cousins who get "huge" sites in comparaison. we wish to plant a range of rasberries (early, middle,late and autumn) so we can have soft fruit for most of the summmer.  ;). is it too late to plant rasberries now? we ahve some autmn rasberries planted in november........can they be moved again now...or would that kill them? ???.

and finally who supplies new rasberries roots at this late stage?

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: is it too late to plant rasberries?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:31:28 »
This is a great question Kevin, I'd like to know the same thing. Just got an extra plot, in not too bad condition and I'm gonna plant me some raspbs!
One of my local garden centres still had them on the weekend.
I also intend to email the Ken Muir website www.kenmuir.co.uk and see if they're still supplying.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 09:50:23 »
I'd say bung some in, they have two chances...

If they don't grow or give good canes, then you can replace in the winter. But don't forget to prepare the ground well. They need planting shallowly but on well manured soil.

I can personally recommend Glen Ample and Joan J. I get fruit from early July all the way through to frosts, and the tastes are completely different! The autumns are richer. I made oodles of jam last year, with the GAs in their first proper fruiting season (first year they get settled and grow a few canes, second year those flower so you get a bit of a crop but they grow a decent set of new canes, third year run out of freezer space!) and the Joan Js just going mental (mine grow better than the GAs though their fruiting is more bitty - you pick gradually instead of them all ripening at once).

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:26:27 »
it better not be too late because i am planning on putting some in this weekend!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:48:17 »
November to March is raspberry cane planting time and ideally the ground should have been prepared last Autumn. Run your rows North/South so you don't shade adjacent rows.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 14:55:56 »
You've just got time, if you're quick

Phil

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 15:06:56 »
Cheers all, I am flat broke this weekend and next week, but next friday is payday hurrah  :) So I will be trying to order some raspbs then  :) The autumn ones might do something decent at any rate  :)
Thanks for the suggestion of varieties Moonbells, I have glen ample on the list already, as I had some of those from the PYO last year, and the berries were massive! May try Galante from ken muir, as it claims you can get two crops a year from them. You can never have too many raspberries  ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 20:39:06 »
a few days ago wilkos had some raspberries in stock still......
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 22:56:48 »
I have one more comment on Glen Ample and Joan J after doing a bit of a stock take in the fruit area today. The blasted things are trying to take over the universe!

I've got new GAs coming up in my tulips around the Bramley base, a JJ is literally appearing half an inch from my redcurrant Red Start's stem... and they are everywhere.  ::)

I am going to have to be brutal...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 23:46:42 »
MMmmmmm, I planted my bare root Autumn Bliss abouit 4 weeks ago.....should they be shooting yet? Or are Moonbell's shooting because they are alraedy established?

Bit worried now!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 09:23:26 »
MMmmmmm, I planted my bare root Autumn Bliss abouit 4 weeks ago.....should they be shooting yet? Or are Moonbell's shooting because they are alraedy established?

Bit worried now!

sorry - mine are 2 years post-planting (3 for the Glens)

moonbells

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 17:13:18 »
furthur to my foray to wilkos.....i passed poundland-i don't know if they are just oop north .....but they have got lots of blueberries,black/redcurrants,goosegogs,raspberries and for some strange reason rosarugosa...anyway-surprisingly-theyare all £1 each!.. ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 19:31:43 »
got my gooseberry, raspberries and red currant in today - am now enjoying an achey back :(

but, all the bushes seems ready too go - shoots and open buds galore.
hope they will feel cosy in their new home - i used lots of compost as mulch and lovingly spread it around the plants ;) :D

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 19:35:30 »
Hurrah for Wilkos...

HIP HIP !!!...

( sorry!! -  am now on my second large glass of red wine and haven't eaten any of hubbys casserole yet......wish he would hurry up and say "Dinner is served" )

Debs :P

Moggle

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 15:54:21 »
Well I've done it - ordered 5 galante and 5 Glen Ample, before the end of march cut-off  ;D ;D ;D

Now I just have to find time to put them in once they arrive. I'm going away this weekend  :-\

Any particular preperations? Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't dug over that bit of ground yet  ::) Going to have to find some time to do that  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 16:07:12 »
Another question - I planted my new canes in pots (impulse buy  ::)) because the ground isn't dug. Will they be ok if I plant them in a few months? I don't even know where I'm going to put them yet!
gone to pot :D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 16:41:01 »
ha!aquilegia!i thought i was the only one! ;)

i bought my rasps blackcurrants goosegogs andf blueberries a while back and put them in biiiiig pots-i hope they dont mind being transplanted in about 2 weeks time as i havent got their bed dug either! :o
i think ej would say- just get 'em in!
so...we'll take her advice i think- ;D
we'll check with each other later in the season to see how wem fared ay?
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 16:46:04 »
.....Any particular preperations? ....
Bear in mind they're going to be in the same place for quite a while so dig in plenty of FYM or compost and blood fish and bone - you'll only be able to top dress for the next few years

Phil

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 17:35:23 »
New to the Forum....

Are bare-rooted raspberries quite resilient?

I planted mine about a month ago....... But a bit concerned as I ordered them, they arrived.... put them in my spare bedroom, to take down to allotment on the weekend, then forgot about them for 3 weeks. So they were boxed in a warm room.....

When I planted them.... Early, Mid, Late and Autumn some had signs of new canes... The following weekend there was a miserable frost...
To the point of my question....  When should I expect some canes above ground?  Or did their warm spell then frost reduce their survival rate?

Help!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 21:32:50 »
Make sure you don't plant the rasberries too deep or they will be really unhappy! The root run should be quite close to the surface. As for planting in pots, haven't a clue!! Good luck ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal