Author Topic: burnt stuff on ground  (Read 1547 times)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
burnt stuff on ground
« on: March 16, 2005, 19:34:32 »

we have an area on our site where someone has has a massive bonfire - its full of bits of metal and other nastys - whats anyones best sugestion ?

what we think we are going to do is build a big raised bed there - as we have  loads and loads of compost to use

there is another area that has a mound of ash - where the previous guy emptied his fire bucket out - no idea whats in that yet - any sugestions about that

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: burnt stuff on ground
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 19:45:15 »
I've used the ash piles to even out paths before putting chippings down.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 20:28:40 »
The massive bonfire you talked about Waggi, it seems they burned all kinds of stuff. What about heavy metals and possibly dioxin in the ashes. I don't know if these things can end up in your veggies. Dioxin is created when plastics are burned.
I'm sure some people on this board know about chemistry and I hope they will post more precise info about possible hazards when the ashes are mixed with soil where your veggies will be grown.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 20:30:36 »
i dont think its heavy metal stuff
its more nails, hinges screws etc

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 23:02:32 »
If you build a high enough raised bed you won't have to do anything with it if you cover it with plenty of soil/compost etc.  If not you could pick out the big bits by hand and sieve the rest.  I've got loads of metal and glass where there's been a fire and I'm having to sieve that.  Last time I tried though it was too wet and it blocked up me sieve  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal