Author Topic: Reclaiming a herb garden?  (Read 1663 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Reclaiming a herb garden?
« on: February 02, 2014, 17:31:52 »
Hi all, we have a very conveniently site herb garden just outside the back door - that is it USED to bea herb garden before the uncontained Mint ran riot! Advice on what to do? I have tried digging up the Mint but it keeps coming back and everything got a bit neglected last year so while I've trimmed back the old growth it's ready to launch into full scale occupation!
I was thinking either blackout the whole area and make a raised bed on top? Or any other suggestions?
There are a couple of rose bushes on the patch (rather spindly but pretty) but nothing else essential to keep.

Hope everyone's well, looking forward to being back in the garden this year!

CL x :wave:

small

• Hectare
Re: Reclaiming a herb garden?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 15:33:37 »
Mint's virtually impossible to eradicate without chemicals, isn't it, and I presume you don't want to go down that route. How about growing the other stuff in pots for this year, and just attacking every mint shoot that pokes its nose out? Make it your summer project!

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 14:56:21 »
One of the many summer projects!  I read somewhere boiling water every day? Any ideas?
Do you think digging out then covering with black membrane wouldn't work?

mmmmmmm.................... am not in the swing of this anymore!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 20:14:50 »
Why not divide each clump , taking a small part of each herb that you use. Carefully scutinise it for mint "spears " and then pot it up, placing to one side. Select some mint specimens and plant in a clay pot, also place to one side. Sustain these until they are growing vigorously. Then dig out the old block of herbs remaining, cart away to an odd corner. Create the new herb garden in the old spot and supply plenty of good compost. Plant out your saved stock, and plunge the mints in the clay pot(s) to sit rims flush to the surface. If you discover any have failed to establish, return to the discarded pile and locate another . If you have space, collect new plants to your taste. A good "haircut" of many herbs will serve to rejuvinate and repair leggy examples.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 21:25:17 »
Thank you more inspiration! No herbs to rescue sadly just the rose bushes...that's the tricky bit....can dig out the rest but it is deep!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal