Author Topic: Classic upsell: I went in to buy some rubber bands ...  (Read 5625 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Classic upsell: I went in to buy some rubber bands ...
« on: August 24, 2013, 22:02:54 »
... and ended up buying a caravan.

I'm only posting this because I'm emboldened by the campervan thread.  Otherwise I'd be embarrassed at my foolishness.

Last Sunday we were a bit early for a family lunch. The M25 and A3 had been astonishingly clear, and we were at least half an hour ahead of schedule. Passing a camping accessories shop, I remembered that we needed some of those stout rubber bands that you use to peg tents down. We'd been camping in the peak district a couple of weeks before, and two of the rubber bands had broken.

Sure enough, the nice lady had them in stock, so that was good. Then we found some plates that we liked. Then we wandered out the back, and found ourselves in a wonderland of second-hand caravans. We'd been thinking of perhaps one more outing with the tent in September, then packing it away for the winter.

Anyway, we went back after lunch and ended up buying this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELDDIS-JETSTREAM-EX-2000-4-BERTH-CARAVAN-201-BARGAIN-DONT-MISS-OUT-/261265262280?clk_rvr_id=513543418127&pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3cd49f86c8&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=ePMwXClP2p5C6dpI7nDP3rqzs%252Bw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Very nice people, Harris Caravans in Liss.

I'm not entirely sure what we've let ourselves in for. Quite apart from anything else, we don't normally buy kit like this without a bunch of research first. This was an impulse buy, pure and simple. It may work out wonderfully well. I might equally have bought in to a world of grief.

I hadn't even got a towbar on the car. That's how unprepared we are.

Anyway, in the last week we've found somewhere secure to store it, arranged insurance, got a numberplate, and various other bits'n'pieces.  Picking it up on 2nd September.

ETA: And we've booked ourselves in to a Caravan Club training course.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 22:09:28 by Melbourne12 »

Mikeakabigman

• Half Acre
  • Haslemere, Surrey
Re: Classic upsell: I went in to buy some rubber bands ...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 22:21:15 »
Wow! Thats certainly quite a story, impulsive yes, but I'm sure you'll love it. Look forward to hearing about your progress, good luck and have fun!
Kind regards

Mike.
My blog.   http://mikeyoungarps.blogspot.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 07:57:36 »
Not sure when you will have time for you allotment. :toothy10:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:11:05 »
It looks really nice - I'm sure you'll have some lovely times in it.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 08:21:58 »
We did a similar thing over 20 years ago and never looked back! If you  like peace and quiet, book into a Caravan Club CL. Wonderful places! :happy7:

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:44:34 »
Well done you, a very good  c,van always wanted one of them have a great time with it . :toothy10: 

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 13:41:48 »
OMG........so you spent a bit more than you intended.

We spent many years with our caravan and loved it. The one you have just got is my favourite layout, too.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 19:43:20 »
Nice caravan, light for towing as well. I done it last year, just popped in for some chemical toilet stuff and ended up trading the old one in and got a newer one. Nothing wrong with my old one so I still don't know how it happened. It all starts now, new cutlery, plates, cups etc. Then Da da daaa an awning. Tried out loads over the years but I recommend the Kampa Rally 390. Light and easy to put up and waterproof unlike a lot of the cheaper ones. We are thinking of going completely self contained and getting a big solar panel so we are not reliant on a hook up, then we can go to loads of cheap CLs which sometimes are a lot better and friendlier than the big sites.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 23:01:01 »
...Then Da da daaa an awning. Tried out loads over the years but I recommend the Kampa Rally 390. Light and easy to put up and waterproof unlike a lot of the cheaper ones. We are thinking of going completely self contained and getting a big solar panel so we are not reliant on a hook up, then we can go to loads of cheap CLs which sometimes are a lot better and friendlier than the big sites.

Great recommendations, thanks!

TracySchwartz

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:33:05 »
Nice caravan, light for towing as well. I done it last year, just popped in for some chemical toilet stuff and ended up trading the old one in and got a newer one. Nothing wrong with my old one so I still don't know how it happened. It all starts now, new cutlery, plates, cups etc. Then Da da daaa an awning. Tried out loads over the years but I recommend the Kampa Rally 390. Light and easy to put up and waterproof unlike a lot of the cheaper ones. We are thinking of going completely self contained and getting a big solar panel so we are not reliant on a hook up, then we can go to loads of cheap CLs which sometimes are a lot better and friendlier than the big sites.
I do agree with your thought.. Spending on expensive items is not profitable sometimes..You need to make the right decision.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 12:21:06 »
I have just seen this.  OH and I were away in August, in our caravan, when you started the thread.

Congratulations on your buy.  Our first van was a 13 year old Elldis; they are very well made. Our nephew used to assemble them in County Durham. 

I hope you are enjoying trips in your new van.  I assume you have joined the Caravan Club as you booked on one of their courses.  We have been a member for 20 years now.  If you ever decide to take it to France, the CC have some good deals. 

Now that you are a caravanner, you may also be interested in joining the Caravan Talk Forum.  There is a lot of interesting and helpful information on there including site reviews.  Here is a link:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 00:01:49 »
I have just seen this.  OH and I were away in August, in our caravan, when you started the thread.

Congratulations on your buy.  Our first van was a 13 year old Elldis; they are very well made. Our nephew used to assemble them in County Durham. 

I hope you are enjoying trips in your new van.  I assume you have joined the Caravan Club as you booked on one of their courses.  We have been a member for 20 years now.  If you ever decide to take it to France, the CC have some good deals. 

Now that you are a caravanner, you may also be interested in joining the Caravan Talk Forum.  There is a lot of interesting and helpful information on there including site reviews.  Here is a link:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/

Thanks for the Caravan Talk link - I've registered, and it looks like a really good forum.

Yes we did indeed join the Caravan Club.  We only did a few introductory outings before Christmas, but it looks like caravanning is going to be a success for us.  We're planning a trip to the Loire later in the year.

The caravan turned out to be in pretty good condition, apart from out-of-age tyres, which we replaced, and a leaking roof-light, which we've had resealed.

So we're now anxiously waiting for slightly warmer weather.  Meanwhile, there's the Camping and Caravan Show at the NEC ...  :sunny:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 00:09:01 »

Since this thread has been bumped, that reminds me to thank you for the awning recommendation.  We've actually bought the similar Sunncamp model, but we haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 10:03:43 »
Good choice, sometimes you wonder if the awnings are the same but printed with a different makers name. I don't know if Sunncamp do the storm struts for the top panels, if they do it is worth investing in them. Then you don't have to rush back if the wind gets up just to check the awning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal