Author Topic: I'm a pea-growing failure  (Read 3243 times)

terrace max

• Hectare
I'm a pea-growing failure
« on: March 10, 2005, 15:02:00 »
Why can't I germinate peas??

Ignoring the distinct possibility that I'm an idiot, why won't they grow? I've managed to get celery, onions and chervil on their way this year (all last year's failures) but peas...no!

Because of the cold weather (will it ever end?) I've sown them - Feltham First -  in 3" pots in my frost-free greenhouse...my first attempt have been binned after nearly 3 weeks of no-show. Second time around I pre-soaked them for 24 hours before sowing: 2 weeks later zilcho...

Any suggestions? Should I use the rest of my seeds to make mushy peas??
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Re: I'm a pea-growing failure
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 15:34:53 »
Just let me get dr hessayon's book.... which says that peas take 7-10 days to germinate. Hmm, dunno. Try to be a bit more patient, perhaps dip your finger in the soil to find the pea seed to see what is happening. Perhaps the frost free greenhouse is still too cold.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 15:36:44 »
i dont lke mushy peas. :p
you say you soaked them? what about chitting?
http://www.hauntedfish.co.uk/~food/vegetables/chickpea.htm
see this website for how she chits her seeds.

even if your potting compost is not sandy.... maybe it will increase the chance of successful germination?
what what do i know - never tried peas myself ;)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 15:41:52 »
My little person (see february competition pics) helped me sow some peas in the autumn - they came up but my big person weeded them!

Going to try the guttering method. Have had success in modules as well as direct plantings.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 16:13:12 »
Because of the cold weather (will it ever end?) I've sown them - Feltham First -  in 3" pots in my frost-free greenhouse...my first attempt have been binned after nearly 3 weeks of no-show. Second time around I pre-soaked them for 24 hours before sowing: 2 weeks later zilcho...

Any suggestions? Should I use the rest of my seeds to make mushy peas??

Greenhouse - mmm is it possible you've got mice? When you binned them, were the seeds still intact in the pots?

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 16:32:19 »
Don't worry:  you're not the only one. ???
Good gardening!

John

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 18:09:37 »
Don't overwater, especially if they are in a cold situation.  They will have rotted quicker than the mice could find them!

diver

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 19:13:16 »
Now, I might be a failure at parsnips but my peas are ok...I have sown 3 varieties, one early one and 2 others, I soaked them for 36 hours..only meant to do it for 24 hours but forgot.... I used ordinary compost in 5 inch pots and put 4 seeds in each pot ..this was last week, and kept them in my unheated spare room for a few days because I didn't have glass in my green house at the time....I moved them into the unheated greenhouse on Monday and they are doing fine...I water them every day...they have little sprouts sticking out of the soil but no leaves yet. I'd try again and soak them for longer, believe me ,if I can do it it is definitly doable. good luck and don't give up

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 19:17:54 »
Thanks everyone. Maybe I did overwater...

I'm going to try the 'hauntedfish' chitting method this time whilst regularly touching wood.

Giving up is not an option. I don't like mushy peas either...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

bethel

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 23:54:00 »
I remember my Father growing his peas in a Jam Jar in which some kitchen paper was coiled then the seeds were dropped between the jar and the paper so the paper soaked up enough moisture to chit the seeds then they were put into pots of compost that had been warmed up indoors for 4 days left for one day then put into shed to acclimatise.

It always works for me.....  ;)

newchangeling

• Quarter Acre
  • No picture, no slogan, no imagination!?
    • Pumpkin Soup
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 12:00:09 »
No advice to offer, I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear you sounding so pea-d off.   :P

Ahem.

I'll go now, shall I?

Clare.
Anyone for Pumpkin Soup?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 12:47:49 »
tee hee  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 18:25:29 »
I remember my Father growing his peas in a Jam Jar in which some kitchen paper was coiled then the seeds were dropped between the jar and the paper so the paper soaked up enough moisture to chit the seeds then they were put into pots of compost that had been warmed up indoors for 4 days left for one day then put into shed to acclimatise.

It always works for me.....  ;)

Hi Bethal, that sounds like a good idea, I have a 4" diam x 9" tall jar, how many peas would you put in that jar and how long would you leave the seedlings before transplanting from the pots and presumably they don't mind a little root disturbance? ???

I am a total novice :-[ many thanks in advance ;D

BTW Welcome to the A4A ;)

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 10:35:06 »
Terrace max

Maybe we didn't wait long enough.

My first earlies went in on 12 Jan,  then every 10 days (+/-).
Yesterday the first row germinated!

Not sure what I did:  I used a dibber,  then dropped two peas in each hole,  and just left them.   At the time it seemed too easy.
Good gardening!

John

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 12:10:43 »
We generally don't have any trouble chitting, but last year they were a complete failure once they were planted as seedlings at the lottie.  We couldn't seem to protect them from whatever was nibbling away at them.  We would have a nice row growing well one day and then the next day they were all decimated.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 12:28:37 »
My first lot sowed in guttering in my greehouse all got eaten by mice! 1 humane mouse trap later, and my second sowing are beginning to show!
(Did see the little blighters in my compost heap yesterday though, so maybe they are planning a 2nd assault!) DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 18:39:10 »
Clayhithe,

You were right: that second sowing I was on about: they've germinated! And I've got others chitting successfully...

Thank you all! (Except for the pea pun, newchangeling)

Now, what's up with those chillies I sowed two weeks ago...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal